Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/11/2015 5:48:52 PM EDT
So I took my finished 80% polymer80 fitted with DPMS sportical upper to the range to function test it (it had no sight so I could only fire a couple of rounds). I noticed the bolt catch won't work (I loaded one round into the mag to function test, then loaded two to make sure it cycles properly). When I place the empty mag into the gun and pull the charging handle, the bolt catch works but if I put a round in the mag, fire it, the bolt catch for some reason failed to work. Can anyone tell me if it's the mag or the bolt catch?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#1]
try another mag, that would eliminate that
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#2]
AR-15 bolt hold-open latches won't work in AR-10 or DPMS .308 lowers. Make sure you have the right sized mag catch.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So I took my finished 80% polymer80 fitted with DPMS sportical upper to the range to function test it (it had no sight so I could only fire a couple of rounds). I noticed the bolt catch won't work (I loaded one round into the mag to function test, then loaded two to make sure it cycles properly). When I place the empty mag into the gun and pull the charging handle, the bolt catch works but if I put a round in the mag, fire it, the bolt catch for some reason failed to work. Can anyone tell me if it's the mag or the bolt catch?
View Quote

it sounds like its short stroking . you should check that the gas block is in good alignment with the gas port and check for gas leaks at the gas block to barrel and gas tube to block as well as gaskey to carrier
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I just tried it.

Tension does not increase at all through the range of the pull, and the bolt clears the bolt catch at least 1/4". The gas system is properly aligned and fitted... it was built by DPMS anyways.

All I can think of is perhaps the ammo was weak? I used perfecta 308 I bought from Walmart...

I coated the bolt carrier with a fair amount of CLP to see if lack of lube is the problem...
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm thinking the rifle is short stroking.

Basically I tried again. When I load one round into the magazine, the bolt locks back properly (not always). But sometimes (about once every 10 rounds) I'd get a stovepipe. I do not know if it's bad magazine because the magazine doesn't seem to do a good job of holding the round. I've had rounds fly off the mag when I try to pack it (the round wasn't seating properly all the time).

On the other hand I was sighting in the UTG red dot sight I got (I needed a cheap sight while I save up for a good scope). It's not a precision shooting instrument, but I could get 2" groups at 50 yards. I think it's more me than the sight honestly (I couldn't get a vise to test it).

The primer has very slight cratering and some have minor extractor marks... I wonder if this is cause for concern (rough chamber or something)

Another thing is, the upper has carbine length gas system but I'm using rifle length buffers (standard AR10 buffer spring/stock). Do you think that could be the problem?
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top