Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2015 3:54:43 AM EDT
I just picked up a DPMS Oracle 308 almost 2 weeks ago. So far I've only put about 150rds of Federal Ammunition 7.62x51mm 149gr FMJBT Ball XM80220 through it. The issue I'm having is with the Federal factory rounds denting/dinging the shoulder during the extraction or ejection steps. I saw the dings after tumbling the cases and thought maybe the sizing die would get rid of them. I mocked up 3 cases that were dinged. After running them through the sizing/decapping die, it looked like I may have used too much lube. But they were only dented where the dings were. My question is what could have caused this in the first place? If it's an extracting too soon issue will a JP SCS slow the bolt down enough to miss the lugs on the way out? Would this also cause the bolt face lugs to look they're chipped also?

Here is a case after cleaning

Reloaded cartridge

Sticker on Ammo box bought from Gander

Bolt face

Bolt face 2

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#1]
The ammo looks like its hitting the shelf deflector during ejection...overgassed. Common with dpms from what I've read...

Not sure about the bolt...looks like an issue though..could be wrong.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I would not fire that weapon anymore and get in touch with DPMS.
I don’t know about DPMS, but using reloads is a warrantee breaker for some.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:52:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is opposite sides of a fired, not tumbled case. You can kind of see the ding in the shoulder in the first one. I haven't fired any hand loads/reloads through this gun on account of the dings in the shoulder. I figured if American factory loaded ammo is having issues, why push my luck with working up a hand load? Any experience with JP Enterprise's Silent Captured Spring buffer replacement in slowing the bolt down after firing?

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#6]
All I have are Magpul mags. 3 ten round m3 2 twenty round m2 and 2 25rd LR/SR
I checked the mag release button and it looked like it only had about 2-3 threads in the button. Got 3 turns out of it.
I did put the JP Enterpirses SCS buffer in it and it went from 1 ding on the shoulder to 2 dings on the neck. (A lot like the 300BO is doing in an earlier thread) I bought the different weight spring set that JP puts out, I'm not sure if a heavier spring will fix it. I called DPMS about the bolt lugs and without even seeing it, the service guy said the wear is "normal" and is nothing to worry about. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I'll feel better when I head down to the LGS (Bower's Tactical) and ask there.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top