Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/22/2015 9:59:27 PM EDT
Hi all,

These were shot from an AAC 9" pistol length barrel mated to a BCM upper receiver with M4 feed ramps. They look like a punch has been taken to them in two spots. Has anyone seen this before?

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Lug marks?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:10:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no idea. I'm fairly new to the AR world and this is my first build. Are lug marks what they sound like? The brass striking the lugs on extraction?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Curious... what is this chambered in?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#4]
300 Blackout
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:46:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Barrel extension lug marks. Not exclusive to 300BLK.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Is this something that should get better as the upper gets shot more?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:41:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this something that should get better as the upper gets shot more?
View Quote

It may as the ejector spring weakens but that'll take a while. If you're mechanically inclined you could trim the ejector spring. I believe some people have even smoothed up those two lugs. That may not fix the problem in your case and should probably only be done by a good gunsmith.

It's not going to harm anything unless you reload. I'd try that ejector spring first but for as deep as those look the lugs may need rounded too. There may be other things you can try. Google may help find some suggestions if nobody chimes in.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Combo of slower cycle speeds, and the larger neck size of the case.

At unlock, the bolt starts coming back, and as soon as the neck section of the case clears the chamber, the ejector is already camming the spent rim off the bolt face.  So this means that the case is starting to be cam'd off the bolt face between the void of the chamber back edge, and the back of the barrel extension (void of the barrel extension)

So with a smaller 223 size neck on the case, there is more of a gap for the pull and the neck to not make contact with the inward edges of the barrel extension lugs tips.

As for on your rig, your not going to be able to speed up the cycle that much and solve the problem, so we need to attack the problem a different way instead.  The neck of the brass is still going to tag the two barrel lug inner points on the extraction, so what we need to do is round/de-sharpen  the inner tips of the barrel extension lugs on the 3:00 position of the two inner  barrel extension tips instead.
View Quote

Makes sense to me. I will try to de-sharpen the two lugs you pointed out and report back when I get a chance to get back to the range. Thank you for the detailed explanation.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top