Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/12/2015 12:23:27 AM EDT
Ok...I'm going to try to explain this in the least confusing way possible.

I have a new AR that I put together from a stripped lower, LPK, and complete upper. Everything worked perfect...no problems what-so-ever.
I decided I wanted a 20" upper instead of the 16" I had purchased. I made a swap for a never been fired Stag 20" upper.

I have no idea why, thinking back on it, but for whatever reason I didn't swap out the BCG from mine to the Stag when we made the swap. I
did give it a look over and it did indeed appear unfired, and just a mil-spec BCG just like mine.

Well I got it all put together, and went to sight in my scope today and ran into an issue with 2 to 3 shot bursts coming out of it!
This happened repeatedly for about 3 magazines (I was only loading 3 rds per mag).
I ended up sighting in my scope 1 shot at a time...took forever!
Anyways....I figured out that when I shoot, and hold the trigger to the rear during recoil/cycling, then go to RELEASE the trigger forward to prepare for
my next shot, it drops the hammer instead of just resetting the trigger.

I checked the assembly of the FCG and rest of the LPK. It is all correct. Every spring, every pin.
It functioned fine with the other upper/BCG on it...and it functions fine with the Stag upper removed.

How in the world could something in the upper cause my hammer to drop instead of engaging the sear like it does with the upper off??

Any help would be very very appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#1]
when you reset the hammer with your finger  it is not the same as the way the bcg resets the trigger and hammer..... try a new trigger pak...
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How in the world could something in the upper cause my hammer to drop instead of engaging the sear like it does with the upper off??
View Quote

One possibility is that the new upper may sit higher off the lower and/or the new bolt carrier may be more ramped, or slightly thinner than the previous upper and bolt carrier combination was.  As a result, the disconnector may not be fully catching the hammer, and it's letting go when the bolt carrier smacks the barrel extension going into battery.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#4]
^^
Also, make sure the nose of the trigger is in good shape.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Dano,

I am always impressed with your responses to questions.  Thank You for taking the time to explain troubleshooting steps!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top