Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2015 5:37:05 PM EDT
I am limited on characters since I just joined so I split my text on to the next post.

Build:

Spikes Tactical Forged Upper
Aero Precision OD Cerakote Lower
Seekins Precision Adjustable Gas Block
Spikes Tactical Melonite Mid-Length Gas Tube
JP Tuned and Polished Extra Power Carbine Buffer Spring JPS-OSC
Nickel Boron (NiB) BCG MK1 MOD0
Adams Arms Voodoo Innovations 16" MidLength Fluted Barrel 4150 CM Melonite 1:7 RH
http://www.riflegear.com/p-1323-adams-arms-voodoo-innovations-16-midlength-fluted-barrel.aspx
Magpul 10rd, 30rd mags

Ammo used:
Federal 5.56 55gr FMJ-BT
Some hand loads from a friend, same issue.

Recently assembled my rifle and was excited to get my gas block tuned in.  I started firing a round at a time with my gas block adjustment screw 1 full turn backed from closed (least gas) and would fire a round and back a quarter turn repeat and I ended up with my adjustment screw almost falling out the block and still having short stroking/Failure to Load and Failure to Eject issues.  

I took the rifle home and cleaned and oiled all components. Double checked my gas rings were scrambled, my gas block was mating on my barrel properly, my gas key mates with my gas tube well and inspected for any excessive wear or binding of components.  All checked out!

Continued on next post...
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Went back to fire and things seemed slightly better after lubing but still failing to lock back on an empty mag.  I had a feeling gas was escaping somewhere around the Seekins adjustable block so I held a piece of paper in front of the block and fired.  Left on the paper was an obvious carbon stamp proving quite a bit of gas was able to escape.  I was happy to finially find a possible culprit!  I headed home, however I wish I had also checked for leaking on either side of the gas block roll pin .  I'll try and post some pics of the area where it leaked and the carbon marks on the paper.

I'm pretty sure I assembled the gas tube to the gas block correctly; are there any special steps to ensure a tight seal?  I know after many rounds carbon will build-up and help to seal things but it looks like quite a lot of gas is escaping, is this normal?  Or would I have to tap the end that is leaking and seal it with a small allen bolt?

Thanks for the help!

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the response,  the reason why I went with an adjustable is to tune my gas system and avoid over gassing my rifle.  More on my reasoning can be read Here.  I'll disassemble my block today and take a close look at the mating surfaces inside.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 2:33:14 AM EDT
[#4]
So I removed my gas block with the tube attached for observation.  I covered the hole on the inside of the block with my finger and blew down the tube to pressurize the components.  While doing this I took soap water with a q tip and covered all the holes on the block.  WOW.  Just about everything was leaking.  The muzzle end hole, the roll pin (mainly right side), around the rear hole where the tube connects, and a TON of air was seeping out around the adjustment screw!  

I do realize having under 30 rounds through it things will not be packed with carbon buildup,  but it seems like things are leaking more than they should.  I called Seekins and they said little to no gases should escape the front.. Now that's the least of my worries!  What should I do, and what can I do??
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Blank
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I mailed in the seekins precision block with the tube attached and they measured the specs on it and deemed it out of spec.  So they replaced the block and mailed it back with the  tube attached .  The new block is a new design that I quite enjoy.  Same size and shape but they moved the location of the brass set screw so you can adjust it from the front rather than the back!  This will make things easier with a grip on.  So there you have it.  Old block indeed leaked and Seekins has a new block design now.  Thanks!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top