Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/5/2015 10:35:00 AM EDT
I recently swapped the barrel on my spr for one in 6.5 grendel. Everything seemed ok except poi changed way more than expected. It dropped about 3 feet at 100 yards. I now only have about 9 mils of upward travel. That's saying a lot considering the scope has 34mils of internal travel.

I have not trued the receiver but am hesitant since it's a billet. I did not have this issue with the previous 223 barrel.

Any ideas? Aside from truing the receiver, I may also bed the barrel extension into the upper with locktite.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]
That does seem excessive. Have you checked all the basics (indexing pin, barrel nut torque, barrel extension to receiver fit, etc)?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#3]
So I ended up taking the upper apart and rebuilding it.

When untorquing the barrel nut, I used a beam type torque wrench to see how much torque was on it. It ended up being well over 100 ft-lb. Not sure how that happened as thought I had torqued it to 60, although that was with a different wrench and adapter and wasn't an ideal setup.

When I put it back together today, I bedded the barrel extension into the upper with rocksett. I made sure to only do it on the outside of the extension and not the threads. I also used the beam torque wrench that I borrowed from a friend and I trust that more than the setup I had earlier.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#4]
My concern now is if I did any damage to the upper with the amount of torque I put on it. That would suck since it's an SI defense billet upper matched to the lower.

The upper was trued prior to the first barrel (.223). When zeroed the was dead center of windage with the old barrel.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top