Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/3/2015 12:30:46 AM EDT
I have heard and been told that a gas block should not rest against the shoulder ,but be about .030 back from it .Is there any truth to this and why if this is needed .
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:25:34 AM EDT
[#1]
It's needed because most of the time, the shoulder on a barrel is cut to allow space for a handguard ring. That's what that shoulder is really there for, is to retain a handguard ring in a traditional configuration.  It's more like .040 or .045 I think.

Some barrels are not cut that way, and some gas blocks are made larger to compensate for that, so it's not a 100% ironclad rule.  You have to see how your particular barrel and gas block are made.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:38:06 AM EDT
[#2]
if it's a set screw type gas block. you can easily check by removing the set screws and install it on the barrel and rotate it upside-down, centering the screw hole over the gas port in the barrel. since they drill the hole in the gas block through the set screw hole. you will be able to determine it's proper position this way.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's needed because most of the time, the shoulder on a barrel is cut to allow space for a handguard ring. That's what that shoulder is really there for, is to retain a handguard ring in a traditional configuration.
View Quote

This.

My 1st build, I pushed the gas block against the shoulder and tightened the set screws. The rifle had short stroking issues. Loosened the gas block set screws, and used a steel ruler as a spacer between the gas block and shoulder, re-tighten set screws. No short stroke problems.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:47:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Handguard cap spacer....I use an old one as a gap gauge to male sure its spaced correctly
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Handguard cap spacer....I use an old one as a gap gauge to male sure its spaced correctly
View Quote

This. Get an old handguard cap from a gun show or LGS and cut it in half. Use this as a spacer as JMO stated.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Depends what gas block you get.  Some require a gap while others go against the shoulder.  I have a YHM that goes against the shoulder.  Their website even states so.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top