Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/1/2015 5:19:23 PM EDT
I recently picked up two Colt Sp1 Ar rifles. They had been used by the Texas Dept. of corrections. So this week I stripped them down as I plan to refinish them and restore the furniture to A1 configuration.
I cleaned both barrels with about a dozen patches soaked with Tiptons truly remarkable bore solvant. then 6 strokes with a bore brush. Then six twists with a chamber brush. A flush out with Gunscrubber. then filled the barrels with Outers Bore foam.
Patches were coming out with alot of "Blue" coloring. finally another flush with Gunscrubber and then three patches of Breakfree clp.
Question is one barrel came out pretty clean and shiney , but the other barrel still looks dirty.
Do you think this barrel is still good? I really don't want to go for another barrel as my Wife is screaming now at the money I have spent on these two project guns so far.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#1]
try JB bore paste and Kroil
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Or Sweets762 bore cleaner. Very high ammonia content that really removes the copper fouling.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought one of these uppers from the DOC rifles, took a bit of work but it came clean. I used Hoppes and followed it up with JB Bore Paste.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:40:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:37:56 PM EDT
[#5]
You probably need to soak it for a few days, this or lots of scrubbing.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top