Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2015 4:51:07 PM EDT
I'm not sure if this is normal wear and if I should retire the carrier or possibly have Colt take a look at it?  It has around 3000 rounds through it, and has been well lubed with CLP since it was purchased new in a Colt Match Carbine. I remember it has been this way for a long time, not sure if it may have been a quality issue from the factory? I noticed the phosphate coating was wearing unevenly and the edge is extremely sharp.  The hammer also shows the wear on its coating, so I'm wondering what my best course of action is to reduce the wear if it's a concern? I have second BCG in it now, but I don't plan on shooting until I'm sure the hammer and other FC component are not out of spec.   Any help appreciated.
I have attached pictures (the second blurry pic gives a better perspective at the area of concern):

Link Posted: 2/19/2015 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking the same thing, thanks for your take on it. I can see myself honing the hammer face; needed an excuse to get a new FC..
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the exact bolt carrier and it is wearing the same way as yours.   Get a Geissele large pin SSA or SSA/E trigger assembly and you will have the best there is  (If yours is a large pin Colt)
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was thinking the same thing, thanks for your take on it. I can see myself honing the hammer face; needed an excuse to get a new FC..
View Quote

Don't hone or replace anything. Keep it clean and lubricated and use it normally.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:29:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I might replace the trigger group as a project: I'm sticking with a single stage.  Thanks for the information about the hammer material and hardened coating.  My Colt doesnt have the block on the lower reciever thankfully.  The manual has a note that the bolt carrier is a measure to prevent the triggering of an auto sear.  I guess they decided it wasn't enough at some point and added additional measures...
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:57:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, I will definitely measure before ordering.  I believe it may be large pin.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top