Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/24/2015 7:52:52 PM EDT
I recently got a new ar and I'm have a problem with it cycling the next round and jamming.  Im first time out i put about 30-40rd with no problems.  Then a week later i took it to the range and after about 15-20rds it started to jam and it failed to hold open on the last round Randomly (did the same thing with different mags). I took it home cleaned it and lubed it. Now today i took it to the range and after the frist 5rds it started to not feed the next round after the frist round was shot. It happened all day with 6 different mags.

Here are a few pic of the rounds that didnt feed and jammed.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#1]
This is called short stroking, and it is due to the gas key in the carrier nor receiving enough gas to correctly cycle the action. Does this rifle have a clamp on gas block or F marked front sight base?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a f marked a2 front sight gas block
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its a f marked a2 front sight gas block
View Quote

Do you have an H buffer in the receiver extension or standard carbine buffer?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Its a carbine buffer.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#5]
That dent in the casing looks like the bolt carrier is running faster than the magazine spring.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#6]
What ammo? 5.56?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The ones on the pic are from federal .223 100rd box. but it was happening with American Eagle 5.56 and Tulammo.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#8]
if you think its moving to fast should i get a h2 buffer? Its a mid langth upper.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is called short stroking, and it is due to the gas key in the carrier nor receiving enough gas to correctly cycle the action. Does this rifle have a clamp on gas block or F marked front sight base?
View Quote

I am going with an overgas, not a short stroke.

OP give us the rifles details.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#10]
you can see by the dent and scrape line that stops before the case head that the bolt isnt going far enough back to catch the cartridge rim to feed thats the way it looks to me...short stroke check the gas key.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
you can see by the dent and scrape line that stops before the case head that the bolt isnt going far enough back to catch the cartridge rim to feed thats the way it looks to me...short stroke check the gas key.
View Quote

I can't tell.  I "diagnosed" one that was doing this last summer on an uber overgassed CMMG carbine barrel that was running so damned fast with a SA BCG that the bolt would outrun the feed speed and jam it.

My short strokes on my own rifles with weak ammo, and too heavy of a buffer would not gouge the cases like that.

Just my own observations.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Its a PSA ptac mid langth upper With bcg. I took a close look at the rim of the cartridge and you can see where it was scraped by the bcg. I also took a look at the front a2 gas block to see if i could see signs of it moving but it looks fine and the gas tube feel good with no movement in it at all. I was thinking of just getting a new aim surplus dcg and a different buffer kit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow thanks for you reply. Well after reading your post and after looking at the thing you mentioned. What i found was with the upper off the lower the bcg moved fine. But with the upper and lower are together, when i slowly pulled the bcg back about 1/4 way throw the stroke it would bind. So i pulled the buffer and spring out of the tube and found the POS tube has a big ass ring in it that causing the buffer and spring to bind up. im ordering a new full kit tomorrow.  
I just wanna say thank to everyone for their input. ill post pics asap and ill let everyone know how it works with the new buffer kit in it.
thanks again,
Stephen.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top