AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:01:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the advice Dano, I will try that next weekend except with the slip2000 that Sully recommended for lube. Chamber only has a light coat of WD40 as O_P suggested.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Old_Painless suggested that you DRY out the chamber to prevent high pressure against the bolt face.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice Dano, I will try that next weekend except with the slip2000 that Sully recommended for lube. Chamber only has a light coat of WD40 as O_P suggested.

Old_Painless suggested that you DRY out the chamber to prevent high pressure against the bolt face.

Alright, I will run a patch with brake cleaner on it through the chamber before I shoot it and let it dry off.

This thing will definitely rust down here sitting without something coating the chamber though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:58:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Made it back to the range today.

-Squeaky clean
-Lubed all of the right places with Slip2000 EWL
-Chamber bone dry and mirror smooth

Stuck a case 60 rounds into the 500 I lugged in with me. I was shooting slow 5 round groups to ballpark the red dot sight I got for this upper. Cleared that stuck case and the next one stuck. Cleared that, next one stuck. Mag dumped 30 rounds of PMC bronze, ran fine. Called it a day.

So, I still have no idea why this thing is sticking cases. It seems like I have blown through all of the theories posted to this point with no results. I saved a couple of the stuck ones, if anybody thinks pics of those would help.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#7]
The ones that stuck were steel?

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The ones that stuck were steel?

View Quote

Yes, they were, all of them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I think OP needs to clean the chamber really well again and go in to get some pics with a hawkeye borescope, because something is going on in the chamber. I  agree with Dano523's earlier post that the reamer either got chipped and left an elevated ring, or the cutting edge of the reamer picked up a shard and scored a nice circle around the chamber. it will be difficult to see because of the shine, and it isn't serious enough that it causes a problem by itself with a clean chamber.  it is just bad enough that a bit of residue plus the scoring causes stoppages, because the blowby from the steel cases will accumulate powder and poly residue in the damaged area of the chamber.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you ever tried putting 2 brass in every mag when starting with a clean gun?  I know you tried it earlier after you'd done some shooting, but have you ever started with a clean gun and then run a 28:2 steel/brass? Thats the only way I can make it work in my gun. I also make sure to put one brass round in the middle of the mag, after 14 steel rounds, and the last at the end (first round I put in the mag).

I know you're probably not keen to revisit this method, but sometimes it takes some experimenting to find the magic combo.  That's the one that worked for me.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have you ever tried putting 2 brass in every mag when starting with a clean gun?  I know you tried it earlier after you'd done some shooting, but have you ever started with a clean gun and then run a 28:2 steel/brass? Thats the only way I can make it work in my gun. I also make sure to put one brass round in the middle of the mag, after 14 steel rounds, and the last at the end (first round I put in the mag).

I know you're probably not keen to revisit this method, but sometimes it takes some experimenting to find the magic combo.  That's the one that worked for me.

View Quote

Well, I'd try it that way but, I've gotten over 300 rounds of steel case downrange without any brass and now 60 rounds of steel with stuck cases galore so, something is getting worse.

I think I'm going to get the necessary equipment to headspace this upper properly before I continue. I don't know what is going on but, it is starting to concern me as to my safety shooting it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Might have to wait until the chamber loosens up (side wall cross dimensions) a bit through cleanings and dry firings with the brass case ammo, but give it another go with the rifle cleaned again and the steel coated cases, and this time try using a small spray can of BreakfreeCLP to clean, then lube the upper receiver bearing surfaces on the wetter side (shot of CLP on the inside and out of the B/C to coat them, then no ammo cycle the B/C in the upper a few times to migrate the CLP off it to the upper receiver bearing areas).

If you do start to stick cases again before the 150rnd mark/relube point, Just pull the B/C, hit the chamber with a chamber brush and quick shot of BreakfreeCLP on the brush to give it a quick scrub, then dry the chamber with a 30 cal mop afterwards while still at the range.

On the positive note, the extractor is not being ripped off the rim, so we know that the extractor and spring a fine.
View Quote

Yeah, the BCG and the lower are bombproof. Well over 1,500 rounds of mixed junk downrange without a hiccup from either of them. I'm worried about what is going on in the chamber though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#14]
That previous pic you posted with the ring of crud around the ammo case looks like a good place to start.  I'd expect gunk from steel cased ammo, but to have it all in one place like that suggests that maybe there's a problem with the chamber dimensions in that area.

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:21:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Didn't see it mentioned.
What bullet weight?

Had exact symptoms with Wolf 75 gr steel case-

New LE6920- 15-20 rounds before stoppage- stuck case, piece of rim ripped off.

Much older Bushmaster- exact same as the Colt.

New build- Cerro A2 upper, new Colt 20" HBAR bbl, RRA bcg- EVERY shot a stuck case, ripped rim.

Problem started with the new HBAR build(first time out), so figured I had some sorting out to do- went to empty the mags using the Colt, then verified it had to be ammo with the Bushmaster, which has had thousands of rounds through it with near perfect reliability.

Next time out took an assortment of wolf 55 and 62 gr, and a couple mags of XM193.

100% reliabilty in all 3 guns, including the new build.

Don't know if Wolf had a bad lot of the 75gr, but I wouldn't touch it now- traded it off to a friend whose Arsenal eats it like candy.

My "theory" is that the combination of bullet weight, lower velocity and steel case is upsetting the timing in the AR platform.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Does your extractor have the Viton O-ring and insert on it?

I know the O-rings are a bandaid, but given you haven't ripped a rim off yet, if your rifle doesn't have the O-ring I would try it and see if it fixes your issue.

ETA: What buffer are you using? If it's a standard carbine buffer moving to an H or H2 can occasionally help with extraction issues.  

Both of these are coverups for what sounds like it might be a chamber issue.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:05:47 AM EDT
[#18]
I took the ring of gack on the stuck cases to be a sign of where that case sealed in the chamber. Seems a bit far back?

I'm definitely going to go ahead and check the headspace before I keep screwing around.

It is 55 grain Wolf, all of it.

On the extractor, it isn't o-ring equipped. I've been starting to wonder about the extractor. I will probably do the o-ring when I headspace it, if the headspace checks out ok.

ETA: Standard carbine buffer, yes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#19]
So, the bolt was getting loose and the farthest forward gas ring was missing a bit of it self. I installed a new replacement bolt.

Now it rips case rims off. 3 of them tonight in the 240 rounds I fired.

Is this thing overgassed? Any way to fix that without an adjustable gas block? Heavier buffer?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:33:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So, the bolt was getting loose and the farthest forward gas ring was missing a bit of it self. I installed a new replacement bolt.

Is this thing overgassed? Any way to fix that without an adjustable gas block? Heavier buffer?
View Quote

Where is it ejecting the brass?  1:00?  3:00?  5:00?  That will help determine if it's over gassed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:12:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Where is it ejecting the brass?  1:00?  3:00?  5:00?  That will help determine if it's over gassed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steel cases land at 7 o'clock over my shoulder. Brass bounces off of the deflector and lands at 2-3 o'clock.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top