Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/19/2014 7:28:51 PM EDT
Just put a new barrel on my 3gun ar. went from a carbine length system to a mid length. reused the gas block with the mid length gas tube. gun wont cycle the second round. first shot will eject but wont pick up the next round. im using the factory buffer and spring that came with my stock DPMS rifle. buffer weights 2.8 oz. do i need a lighter spring or buffer?

i pulled out a heavy buffer that i had in my AR pistol and no joy. still wont cycle.

pulled it down again and there is carbon marking around the gas hole on the barrel. no blockage in the tube as i can blow thru it. i think its lined up correctly. brass ejects at 3 o'clock.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
What size gas port?  What gas block?  Is the gas block getting a good seal?  Is the new gas tube fitting into the gas key properly?   Will it lock back on an empty mag?  Is the new gas tube leaking a lot where it enters the gas block?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#2]
tore it all down today and measured and took pix. the gas hole is .75 on the new barrel. same as the old barrel. Gas block is a low profile with set screws. it has been used on a couple barrels.

I did notice a bit of wiggle between the gas tube and block. took it out and you see pix below. this is only about 10 rounds fired. i think im seeing some carbon around the tube where it leaves the block.

I think my next step will be a new gas block.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been witness to 2 gas blocks in as many years that developed hairline cracks in them. Very hard to see unless I sprayed them with brake cleaner. Anything would work but the BC evaporates fast on the outside but stays "wet" in the crack. It exhibited the same symptoms as yours.

Did ya beat that thing with a hammer, or what?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been witness to 2 gas blocks in as many years that developed hairline cracks in them. Very hard to see unless I sprayed them with brake cleaner. Anything would work but the BC evaporates fast on the outside but stays "wet" in the crack. It exhibited the same symptoms as yours.

Did ya beat that thing with a hammer, or what?
View Quote

thanks. i ordered a new gas block. hope that fixes it
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#5]
UPDATE:

New gas block installed and problem persists. i know everything is lined up correctly due to some carbon marking around the barrel port.

i threw on the old worn out barrel and carbine gas system and it ran like a champ. i give up. im just gonna buy a new carbine length barrel and sell this mid.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Need more info.

You mention its a mid-length, but what is the barrel length? Also, are you 100% the barrel's gas port diameter is 0.075"? If so, your gas port may be undersized which is causing your weapon to short-stroke.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#7]
if you are game to try one last possibility, check the end of the gas tube where it enters the gas key. if it is out of spec because of wear it will leak just enough gas to cause function problems.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top