Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2014 10:56:50 PM EDT
so i just finished a new WOA DCM match barrel upper i was making into for a SPR... knowing they the head spaced these to .002 or less, i know most coated bolts work work with them, i thought i had at least 1 non coated on my other 3 AR i could use with it..

turns out i didnt... 1 chrome, 2 np3...

but i figured i would try anyway... well the bolt never even made it into to the extension...

so im thinking...hmmmmm... no way its that tight...

so i pull the chrome bolt apart and just drop in the bolt head... fits fine...

drop in just the carrier.. stopped dead and stuck on the gas tube...

all 3 carriers are the same...

so i pull out the gas tube and its to big to fit in any of the gas keys..

a dremel off the thickness a tad at a time till it fits, polish it up, then put it back in the gun.. good to go...

tube was from a local big AR parts dealer at the gun show... buy stuff from him all the time,,, some odd shit,,,
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#1]
be very careful removing material from the gas tube, too much clearance will cause the rifle to short stroke.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Mixed up a 308 tube maybe?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
be very careful removing material from the gas tube, too much clearance will cause the rifle to short stroke.
View Quote

Or just buy a new gas tube.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Were the carrier keys coated, chomed, or phosphated?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Tony strikes again?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#6]
You probably don't have the gas tube fully seated in the gas block. I had a Rainer Arms gas block that had a burr inside it that didn't allow the tube to slide past the gas port. I thought the gas tube pin slipped into place easier than normal. The end result was the same as what you are experiencing. Double check to insure the gas tube is fully inserted inside the gas block. The tight fit on some gas block's gas tube holes creates the illusion that it's properly pinned in place.

I simply ran the right size drill bit inside the gas block to clean up the interior.

You may have the wrong length gas tube. They come in rifle length, intermediate, mid-length and carbine. WOA even sells an extended length gas tube for use with their space gun barrels.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Were the carrier keys coated, chomed, or phosphated?
View Quote
1 of each.... wouldn't fit in any....

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Were the carrier keys coated, chromed, or phosphated?

Interesting, I have seen problems with coated carrier keys but never a problem caused by the gas tube.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Every gas tube I have, and every gas key are slightly different dimensions. I mix and match accordingly. Same for bolt to chamber fit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Out of spec gas tube. Not surprising. I had one that caused short stroking on my SBR. Replaced it with a better quality one that fit properly and fixed the problem. It happens.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I got an out of spec gas tube one time. It was too long and the bolt wouldn't close. I called the business I ordered it from,
they checked iventory. All the ones they checked were too long.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top