Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2014 3:59:06 PM EDT
I just took my new rifle out of the box and the barrel rotates back and fourth about an 1/8th of an inch. What a bummer. I've only had bolt actions and have never seen this before and am wondering what to do now? I know I'll have to send back at least the upper but  how serious is this going to be? Thanks for any  help
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#1]
1/8 is a lot for rotation. Is the guide pin broken?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Not terribly uncommon when the upper is not assembled correctly.  If this is brand new, you have two choices - fix it, or send it back.

Whomever the manufacturer/assembler is, you should state that here for the record, it is a sign of lack of QC.

Personally, I'd fix it myself, as I have the tools and experience and this is likely a minor issue.  While you say it is 1/8" this os likely subjective as the barrel cannot rotate quite that much, but if it has a front sight post, you might mean the sight posts has 1/8" of movement.

If the barrel nut is just loose, and there is no issue with the indexing pin in the barrel, then it is common to have some level of rotation, typically this would be closer to 1/32" of play.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#3]
If it is actually a 1/8 of an inch then the barrel may be loose in the barrel extension.
If the barrel is moving and the feed ramps are not it is not a do it yourself project.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it is actually a 1/8 of an inch then the barrel may be loose in the barrel extension.
If the barrel is moving and the feed ramps are not it is not a do it yourself project.
View Quote

While entirely possible - have you ever experienced such a thing?  I know technically they are simply installed and torqued to 120 lbs... so they CAN come loose, I have never seen it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#5]
1/8 was what mine was doing with a lose barrel nut. The gas tube was preventing it from moving further. Easy fix. Palmetto has a decent wrench on sale for $18.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
1/8 was what mine was doing with a lose barrel nut. The gas the was preventing it from moving further.
View Quote

The index pin in the upper receiver slot should govern movement, WAY before the gas tube has any bearing at all.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the posts, I'm googlin' barrel wobble and seeing some stuff too. My hand guard doesn't move just the barrel and front sight post if that means anything. The barrel rotates but I would assume the front sight would be even farther off......anyway it would be hard to imagine this rifle hitting in a 12 inch circle at 100 yards using the front sight post and it moving this much.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The index pin in the upper receiver slot should govern movement, WAY before the gas tube has any bearing at all.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1/8 was what mine was doing with a lose barrel nut. The gas the was preventing it from moving further.

My bag. My rail was rotating not the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#9]

My bag (sic). My rail was rotating not the barrel.
View Quote

That still is a problem.  Now you need to identify where it is rotating and then why.  Is it barrel nut rotating or rail on the nut assembly?  
You will figure this out.  Please let us know what you discovered.  We all learn from these experiences.
Best, and Thanks

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 1:48:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

While entirely possible - have you ever experienced such a thing?  I know technically they are simply installed and torqued to 120 lbs... so they CAN come loose, I have never seen it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I have.
Once in forty years, give or take.
It does not seem likely, but 1/8” is a lot unless the index pin is sheared.
Whatever the problem is, shipping a rifle with a loose barrel seems like really poor QA.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Contact the manufacturer and have them fix it.

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123
View Quote

That's proving to be easier said than done......
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Contact the manufacturer and have them fix it.

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123

Did you ever say who made it?  And if not, why not?
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:13:34 AM EDT
[#14]
OP,

Any report?

Marco...
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#15]
It has been delivered to manufacturer for 10 days, still no word......folks, ya'll need to pay attention to people on here who when asked for advice say buy the colt's . I wish I would have.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It has been delivered to manufacturer for 10 days, still no word......folks, ya'll need to pay attention to people on here who when asked for advice say buy the colt's . I wish I would have.
View Quote

What manufacturer is it?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:54:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL   Careful John, or you'll start another "'why nothing is as good as Colt" thread-jack.  
There are a number of great manufacturers, Colt is one.

Let us know how it goes.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Why isn't he telling who the manufacturer is?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#19]
What are you all talking about. This is that new Free Float barrel.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

care to explain?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

So was the barrel extension turning individual of the barrel, or was the whole barrel assembly turning in the upper? Gotta be either extension was never torqued, or dicked up index pin, upper receiver out of spec....
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 4:43:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 7:06:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

My NIB Colt 6951 (9mm) had a loose barrel when it arrived.  It took 3 weeks to get it back so Colt isn't always perfect.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top