Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2014 11:17:34 AM EDT
I just bought a used AR the other day, it's my first one so be easy on me..... i took it to the range to sight it in, and almost every time the last cartridge does not wanna feed in out of the magazine, doesnt matter which magazine i use.... any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#1]
It is a colt sporter 7.62 x 39 if that helps any
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you better describe the malfunction?  Is the bolt locked back on the follower while the bullet sits on top of the magazine?        

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Try a different mag. I experienced that problem with a DPMS 30rd mag I bought during the panic. I got 2x of them actually and both had the same issue. I used an existing PMAG and it worked fine. I never bothered to troubleshoot/fix the issue because they were cheap mags and I was going to sell them anyway.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What mags, hence brand name and type, and have you pulled the mags down to CLP clean them.

On the rifle, are you cleaning it correctly, including using a chamber brush with CLP to clean the chamber by hand, as well as correctly CLP lubing the Upper receiver bearing areas as well?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is a colt sporter 7.62 x 39 if that helps any

What mags, hence brand name and type, and have you pulled the mags down to CLP clean them.

On the rifle, are you cleaning it correctly, including using a chamber brush with CLP to clean the chamber by hand, as well as correctly CLP lubing the Upper receiver bearing areas as well?

You are going to have to break that down to me lol Yeah I'm that new lol
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can you better describe the malfunction?  Is the bolt locked back on the follower while the bullet sits on top of the magazine?          
View Quote

bolt is locked back about halfway with the bullet usually half out of the magazine pointing upwards
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Is the bolt above the round with the bullet partially stripped from the magazine but caught against the bolt above and feed ramps below?        

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is the bolt above the round with the bullet partially stripped from the magazine but caught against the bolt above and feed ramps below?          
View Quote

yes basically the bolt is against the middle of the cartridge
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:06:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Are you using a 7.62 magazine and are you loading it to full capacity?  Try downloading it a couple of rounds. Will it run ok with 5 rounds in the mag?

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are you using a 7.62 magazine and are you loading it to full capacity?  Try downloading it a couple of rounds. Will it run ok with 5 rounds in the mag?  
View Quote

I have 2 5 round magazines that came with the gun so they are colt brand, i have used them fully loaded and with 3 in it and usually get the same result, i also have 4 20 round magazines that are ASC and i have only used them fully loaded but once again usually get the same result.... one thing i can think of is the magazines are dirty because i did buy the gun used, but i have read so many conflicting things on cleaning / lubricating them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#11]
It sounds like the last round isn't being presented fast enough and therefore gets sandwiched when the carrier catches it and pushes it forward.

It's very odd that it only happens on the last round from the magazine.  

What buffer are you using? It's possible a heavier buffer would give a little more time for the round to present itself and solve the problem.

If you put one round in the magazine and pull the carry handle back, when you release it does it experience the same failure?

If you fire that one round that was loaded by itself does the bolt lock open?  If it locks back is the bolt hold open caught on the front of the bolt or on the carrier?

Unfortunately these issues can be difficult to trouble shoot over the internet, I wish I could take it to the range and work with it a few minutes.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It sounds like the last round isn't being presented fast enough and therefore gets sandwiched when the carrier catches it and pushes it forward.

What buffer are you using? It's possible a heavier buffer would give a little more time for the round to present itself and solve the problem.

If you put one round in the magazine and pull the carry handle back, when you release it does it experience the same failure?

If you fire that one round that was loaded by itself does the bolt lock open?  If it locks back is the bolt hold open caught on the front of the bolt or on the carrier?

Unfortunately these issues can be difficult to trouble shoot over the internet, I wish I could take it to the range and work with it a few minutes.

View Quote

I'm not sure what a buffer is.... i know i sound like an idiot. I wish I had someone close by that knew about them that could shoot it and tell me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I also have not tried shooting one round but I will do that
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top