Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2014 1:26:50 PM EDT
Hey everyone!

I built my first AR15 maybe 2 years ago, and have shot maybe 1000 - 1500 rounds through it. This problem did not really bother me until recently.

I noticed that my rear iron sight a LMT L8A had the windage adjustment cranked almost all the way to the left. it is actually 20 clicks from center when i re-zeroed it yesterday. To diagnose the problem I purchased a set of similar iron sights that were take offs from a S&W MP15. The rear sight is very similar to the LMT in an A2 style. At the range the S&W sight also zeroed way to the left with 17 or 18 clicks.

SO this leads me to think it is the barrel with the front fixed sight being crooked or something. I disassembled the upper but have not removed the barrel. I really cant tell any noticeable cant or crooked position in the front sight. I am thinking about contacting Daniel Defense about what can be done, but thought I would get some feedback from the community first. I was told that mil-spec rear sight should be +/- 7 clicks from center.

I did not assemble this upper as I bought it on Armslist fully assembled with BCG and all. Specs for the Upper are:

YHM Upper
Daniel Defense M4 profile barrel 1:7 twist Fixed front sight.

Let me know if pictures would help.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is how TM 9-1005-319-23&P and TM 05538C-23&P/2 explain how to check the alignment of the bore to the front and rear sights. On my last build, I used buis. When I installed the free float rail the front sight is secured to, I had the rail off by around 1/16th to 1/32nd of an inch left. When I zeroed at 25 meters, the windage had to be adjusted 12-14 clicks left to zero (rear sight is a .50 MOA sight).

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I had this problem with 2 Palmetto uppers. Both of the front sights were installed wrong, cambered to the left. You might try to get a good eyeball down the upper and check there.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the reply. I definitely cannot see a noticeable cant in the FSB to the left. The rear sigh is current 0.039in from center. which equates to 18 clicks. to the left.

The feed ramps on the upper also seems to line up well with the mating ramps on the barrel. I am attaching pictures of the sight down the upper and the chamber alignment.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc65/jager1313_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/20141019_221408_zpsgld4bbv1.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc65/jager1313_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/20141019_221519_zpslq3bvnyg.jpg
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:51:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#8]
FSB in your photo across the washing machine also looks canted left to me.

A trick I've used several times is to feed a fine wire through the rear sight aperture (with the sight centered, of course), and hold it taut over the front sight post; if you center your gaze down the barrel from the front, you should be able to see whether the wire is centered to the upper receiver rail. You can get the kind of wire I'm describing at "craft" stores that sell beading supplies; it's braided, so it doesn't easily kink and throw you off (I have one setup with a non-pinned barrel and a clamp-on, A-post front sight base, and this is what I use to re-center the sight after changes).

HTH
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#9]
SO i bought the upper assembled by someone online. No one reputable or not reputable.

I do have the tools to disassemble the barrel and reassemble myself, but wondering what i should look for in the mating area between upper and barrel. Should i expect some kind of debris or something? do i need to true up some surface on the upper or the barrel? Could this be a defect in the Daniel Defense barrel? It seems like they have a pretty solid warranty, so i don't mind giving them a call if i know it is the barrel for sure.

Here are some better pictures of the feed ramp, it really looks very well lined up. Also i set the upper on my granite counter tops and drew a reference line for perpendicular. I also tried taking a level to the upper and the two points on the front sight.

let me know what you think.

I will try the wire trick when I get some wire. I am assuming picture framing wire will work.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc65/jager1313_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/20141028_203714_zps2nwubtds.jpg
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top