Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2014 4:24:56 AM EDT
I just bought a new Bushmaster .308 AR15 from Walmart about a week ago. This is my first AR15 so I watched so Youtube videos on how to break it down and clean it. I have not fired it yet. But when I took out the bolt carrier, I noticed that it did not have the Firing Pin Retainer included, but the firing pin wont come out. Also the cam pin will not twist nor will it pull out.

The Bolt itself will move back and forth and it will dry fire. I just cant disassemble the bolt carrier. I called Bushmaster and they want me to send the whole gun in which I don't want to do. I asked if I could just send in the bolt carrier and they said they needed the whole gun which I don't understand why they need it. I drive a semi so it would be hard for me to just send it in because I don't know when I'll be home to accept the package when it comes back.

If that part is defective can I just buy another bolt carrier?

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:52:29 AM EDT
[#1]
is it an ar15 or an ar10?
you're not going to be able to rotate the cam or remove it. until you remove the firing pin. the firing pin would just fall out. if it wasn't being retained.

do you see a hole where the retainer pin should be?

if not. does it look something like this?

if it does. you tap it out from the other side. (bottom hole of the 4 small holes below)

FIELD_STRIPPING_THE_AR15
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I see, DPMS 308 bolts do not have traditional cotter pins for firing pin retainer (first pic above).  They use semi captured flat head pins (middle pic above) and as Fan noted, you push them out from the opposite side (from ejection side).  Did you read the owners manual that came with your rifle, or just YouTube?

Step 8 on page 31 of your manual...  

8. To remove the firing pin, first you must remove the firing pin retainer. Push the firing pin retainer from right to left. Remove it by pulling the retainer pin all the way out of the carrier.

Also check out illustration 32A on page 32.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/assets/images/pdf/owners.pdf

That is step number 1 in disassembling any AR bolt.  It holds in the firing pin, which holds in the cam, which holds in the bolt.  

I don't think you'll have to send anything back to DPMS, just need to get a better understanding of how it's put together.  Good luck.  If you have any more issues, post some pics.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks more like the second pic. I read the owners manual and watched Youtube. The Youtube videos all have the firing pin retainer which mine does not, that's why I was concerned that the manufacturer missed it in the QC process.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top