Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2014 3:48:03 PM EDT
I took my bushmaster M4a1 ban compliant out to the range for the first time and it is not loading correctly. The gun was not a factory assembled gun. It was a mating of a factory Bushmaster lower with fixed stock and a new in box Bushmaster upper. It has a carbine length spring and buffer installed.

When you pull the charging handle to load the first round it will load the round and not close the charging handle all the way or it will fail to strip the top round off and close all the way. The action cycles fine when there is no mag in the gun. I have tried several mags and different types with the same results. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Type of magazine?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Dont pull the charging handle to load the first round. Lock the bolt back, load a full magazine, then hit the mag release. It should strip the first round and chamber it.

Most people that pull back on the charging handle don't pull back far enough or ride the bolt forward or Both.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried with Pmags and regular Military style 30 rounders. The mags are blocked to 15 since I live in NJ but they work in my other ARs. I tried to load it with less ammo and it still wouldn't work. I didn't try to load it by the bolt release. I was definitely pulling the bolt back correctly. It would not close all the way and you would have to push the charging handle forward a little bit to get it to lock in place.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#4]
have you cleaned and used clp on this new upper yet the chamber may have a build up of shipping grease or junk
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The chamber is clean. Could it be a bolt issue/buffer ?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I took my bushmaster M4a1 ban compliant out to the range for the first time and it is not loading correctly. The gun was not a factory assembled gun. It was a mating of a factory Bushmaster lower with fixed stock and a new in box Bushmaster upper. It has a carbine length spring and buffer installed.

When you pull the charging handle to load the first round it will load the round and not close the charging handle all the way or it will fail to strip the top round off and close all the way. The action cycles fine when there is no mag in the gun. I have tried several mags and different types with the same results. Any ideas?
View Quote

Does the fixed stock run a rifle length tube? That will lessen your spring tension and also cause the bolt key to over travel and hit the back of the receiver if you use carbine buffer and spring.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#7]
It is a Bushmaster fixed collapsible style stock from the AW ban era.  I just found this old thread. http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=9&t=309386

It sounds like I might need a rifle length buffer and spring?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Completely clean and generously lube the exterior contact points on the bolt carrier and the lugs on the bolt. A drop of oil inside the bolt carrier is needed as well. You may want to use Gun Scrubber or a similar product to strip the meat clean on all the internal surfaces before applying lube. The barrel and particularly the chamber need to be scrubbed to remove any preservatives or rust preventatives that may have been applied at the factory.  

This should be done whether you replace the buffer and buffer spring with the standard rifle unit or not. New rifles need to cleaned and well lubed. It helps to break them in.

The standard A1/A2 style stock requires a rifle buffer and spring whether you have a 16" or 20" barrel. They are cheap and easy to swap out.

Your stock should function fine with a carbine spring and buffer.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I am using the same stock as this and it shows a rifle length buffer?

http://www.armslist.com/posts/1758964/jackson-mississippi-gun-parts-for-sale--bushmaster-fixed-style-post-ban-ar-stock---reduced
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is a Bushmaster fixed collapsible style stock from the AW ban era.  I just found this old thread. http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=9&t=309386

It sounds like I might need a rifle length buffer and spring?
View Quote

From the first pic you showed you have a pinned carbine stock, your buffer and spring should be correct. Like others have said, prolly just a little cleaning and or break in will make it run.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your fixed stock some weird version that uses the carbine spring and buffer?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I posted on a local gun forum and somebody else has one of these stock and it runs with a standard buffer and spring. I just measured my fixed collapsible stock buffer tube and a spare A1/A2 buffer tube. They are both the same length internally so that means I need a standard buffer and spring right?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:10:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I posted on a local gun forum and somebody else has one of these stock and it runs with a standard buffer and spring. I just measured my fixed collapsible stock buffer tube and a spare A1/A2 buffer tube. They are both the same length internally so that means I need a standard buffer and spring right?
View Quote
Seems that would be the case. Do what borderpatrol suggest. Did you use a drill and spin the chamber brush a few times?

Pushing the charging handle?  Or the forward assist?  If the charging handle, take a look at the way the bcg and the gas tube fit, could be the tube is bent a little.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:12:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:17:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:12:01 AM EDT
[#16]
The bolt face goes behind ejection port with carbine length buffer and spring. It stops with about a 1/8" to a 1/4" with full length buffer and spring. I would say that was the issue. I will try to test it this week.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top