Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2014 6:26:46 PM EDT
While I was shooting last week  my gun jammed and I quickly cleared and reloaded.  I then realized I couldn't get my next round into the chamber. It seems the back part of the casing was ripped off and the front part is now jammed in the barrel. What would cause this to happen and how do I get it out?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#1]
lemme guess, steel cased ammo?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
lemme guess, steel cased ammo?
View Quote

I've had two case head separations in matches. Neither were steel. Both were Lake City. My match rifle has never seen steel. Some times, brass just fails.

A broken shell extractor will grab it. A rod with a brush is how I got the one where I had forgotten my shell extractor.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Over gassed gun can cause this.  Was the problem in my case.  Could be a different cause in your case.

A small tool called 'broken case extractor' will remove the broken case.  I got one and had to use it several times before I figured out why they were breaking.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Whose "reloads" were you shooting?

You need a universal separated-case extractor.

Chamber brush with big nylon brush.

Ram it in, and rip it out.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Whose "reloads" were you shooting?

You need a universal separated-case extractor.

Chamber brush with big nylon brush.

Ram it in, and rip it out.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/tools%20and%20maintenance/chamberbrush_zps83ad725d.jpg
View Quote

Does that really work?  How about a brass brush?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:51:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:13:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Wasn't a reload. Cant remember exactly which brand but I think it was either federal american eagle or Remington 223. I ordered the CJ weapons extractor. Hopefully i can get it out.

Anyone else have ideas as to the cause? Too much headspace? Should I look into a new BCG?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:34:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does that really work?  How about a brass brush?
View Quote

Never had a brass case that it didn't work on.
(never tried it on steel - never saw a steel separation, only ripped steel rims)

Mine has a PLASTIC brush, and it rides in the back pocket of my shooting jacket at all times.
Has worked many times.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#9]
In Hatcher's Notebook he stated, iirc, that you could often successfuly remedy this problem by loading an empty case in behind the broken one, jamming the empty brass case neck into the case neck, and then drawing it out.  I have never tried this. I know he wasn't talking about Ar15s, but who knows?
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top