Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2014 8:28:13 AM EDT
I'm sorry, couldn't find this subject in a search.
I've got a new Bushmaster with standard A2 front sight.
I'm trying to remove the pins, from left to right.
I've ground off the head, I've soaked, I've heated.
I'm using a 5 pound hammer. It's not budging.
Help!

Jim
Boerne, TX
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Are they tapered pins? (I assume so)

How are you securing the upper when you try and drive them out? If there's any movement, the energy will be transferred to the upper rather than the pins. Why did you grind the pin down?

I usually take the biggest punch that I have, secure the upper so there is no movement, and give it a good solid hit with your typical framing hammer and they come loose. After that, I go to the appropriate sized punch and tap them the rest of the way out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#3]
"Kroil" is a penetrating solvent that is advertised to have the ability to creep into 1 millionth of an inch crevices. As already mentioned the front sight base must be hard against a plastic or wood backer so the full force of the hammer blow gets absorbed by the pin.

I use a fatter than needed punch in an effort to knock the pin flush with the sight base. Once it has moved a little the rest is pretty easy. Smack the damn thing with authority. Have someone hold the rifle stable if need be. Depending on how flush you've ground it you may have an even harder time getting it started now. You may have formed a lip on the pin with the grinder. Propane is your friend. DON'T GET THE BARREL RED HOT. Just apply heat to the pins directly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe you need one of those Brownells front sight base removal / install blocks, there round and orange and work great. Brownells calls it a "Front sight bench block"
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Front sight pins can be a real chore. This is a fantastic tool for the job, and better than the Brownell's block:

http://www.xringproducts.com/X_Ring_Products_EEIO.php

At the time of posting this, it is not in stock. Otherwise, I hate FSB pin removal.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:40:28 AM EDT
[#6]
They don't have a head. They are taper pins as noted. They come out one way only. Wack the small side.

By grinding off the "head" you may have welded it in there in a way. Grinding can displace metal, you may have displaced the taper pins into the fsb.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top