Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/11/2014 1:24:50 PM EDT
Delete
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:40:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Well...I'm going to say it.  You dropped it not once but twice and you cant understand why it wont shoot straight.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:47:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:23:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Is the scope mounted to the upper and the FF. That's most likely your issue.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the scope mounted to the upper and the FF. That's most likely your issue.
View Quote

I agree.  You stated that the front rail is loose and you moved the scope mount to hold it in place.  This is probably letting your scope move around under recoil.  Move the scope back to the upper receiver and see how it groups.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Negative...I bought a barrel wrench, torqued the barrel nut and moved the scope mount back to the rear before I shot it. I leaned it against the wall lastnight and it slid over onto the tile again. And againt it canted the barrel/tube angle. Something has to be cracked inside the upper. I'm going to send it back to PSA.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Edit : read the last post a little closer.

What rail is it? Is the barrel nut actually turning or just the rail?

Also - because it's a couple years old and you've gone at it yourself with a barrel wrench, I wouldn't be surprised if they told you no.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When you removed and reinstalled the barrel, was the indexing blind pin still in place on top of the barrel extension?  Also by chance has the barrel come loose from the barrel extension, check by trying to unthread the flash hider from the barrel.  Have you tried the rifle with another optic or iron sights to see if it groups, just to eliminate that it is not the scope?

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123
View Quote

I never pulled the barrel. I removed the gas tube and torqued the nut...never disassembled it any further.....but the barrel and extension are what I am thinking. The rail is still tight and I see no sign that the assembly has indexed again but it slid over onto the floor again last night causing the barrel to shift slightly off center inside the rail. So that is telling me that there is something wrong in the upper. I don't have a vice to work on it so I think it is going to have to go back.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like the barrel is loose and the upper will have to be re-built. Probably would be better to send it back since you don't have the tools to do it right.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
With no vise, how did you hold the complete upper when you retorqued the barrel nut?   This is usually done in a vise with some sort of way to brace everything, like the the barrel in block blocks, or the barrel extension in a lugged rod, or the upper receiver in a fixture.

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123

View Quote

Used dad's vice and torque wrench. But that's a couple hours away
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top