Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/6/2014 2:08:56 AM EDT
well for a while I've been trying to figure out why my rifle is having light primer strikes, I've changed the trigger group, hammer spring, etc, and it was still misfiring, so I started looking into maybe the bolt isn't closing enough as someone mentioned, well I cleaned my rifle, bcg took apart, and cleaned, cleaned the chamber (223 wylde) and I went and fired it the other day and it seems as at first it went a few rounds with no issues then every other round the bolt wasn't closing, if I fire and hit the forward assist before the next trigger pull it shoots, but if I don't then it just goes click...   I'm running a utg receiver extension, spikes lower, wolff enhanced buffer spring, I've tried two different buffers, the first was a 4.9oz buffer, the second was a 4oz buffer. spikes bcg, Anderson upper receiver.  could this be an alignment issue?? or could it be the wolff buffer spring?? is my buffer too heavy??   I've heard some say that the 223 wylde chambers can be finicky about what ammo you shoot out of them... I'm shooting 5.56 brass 55gr federal, and 5.56 American eagle 62gr green tip...
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 3:20:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you using some kind of custom weight buffers? The buffers you used, were they using internal weights or tungsten powder? Some possibilities can be bolt bounce is occurring to where once the carrier contacts the barrel extension, it bounces back without returning to battery. So, it's closed enough without being in battery that when you pull the trigger it drops the hammer. Another thing could be an ejector spring that has too much spring tension for the action spring to compress to get the bolt in battery.

As for the weights of carbine sized buffers, they go: Carbine (3.0 oz), H (3.8 oz), H2 (4.6 oz), H3 (5.4 oz), and H6 (5.2 oz).
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 4:36:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 6:44:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a similar problem to yours a few weeks back. I would fire a round and it would either fail to eject the casing or fail to fully load a new round if it managed to eject the old. After a trip to the gunsmith the problem ended up being a misaligned gas block. It wasn't allowing enough gas pressure back to the receiver to fully operate the bcg. Something to consider if you get stuck.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the help guys.... I'm kinda a newbie when it comes to ar's, was always an ak guy (don't hate me for that) lol I was running the heavier buffers because I was told it would reduce recoil and improve accuracy, guess there was more to it than what I was told.... looks like I need to get a standard buffer anyway.. yeah they are tungsten filled buffers that I bought from an ar parts seller, don't know a brand on them...  I don't think the problem is in the upper being the upper ran fine on the lower it was on when I got it... (traded some stuff for a complete gun and kept the upper, and put it on my lower) and I also was having failure to fire issues with another upper on my lower when I first built the lower in a test firing so I'm thinking it's buffer too heavy, or the spring,  which I don't think the wolff enhanced spring is so much a heavier spring as it is supposed to be a more consistent spring, and has a coating to make it slide thru the receiver extension smoother.  although I did notice around the gas tube where it goes into the gas block that there is what appears to be powder residue on the gas tube but the alignment and the pin for the tube all seem to be fitted fine....
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Wylde chambers are virtually identical to 5.56mm chambers everywhere but the neck and throat. They are every bit as reliable as 5.56mm except in full-auto, which I suppose you aren't using. I get perfect functioning from Wylde chambers which is the majority of rifles I own.

With the magazine removed work the charging handle all the way to the rear several times. Does it get tight anywhere along it's travel? If so, the threads on your UTG buffer tube are not cut straight and the bolt carrier group is binding and losing momentum in the process. I have very little faith in anything UTG makes.

Standard carbine or H buffers usually work fine, so do standard springs. They were designed for the ammo you've listed as being used. Have you ever popped a primer? If so did you find it? These little buggers can find a home almost anywhere.

Make sure your rifle has plenty of lube, especially the bolt and carrier. Try manually working the action, no magazine, no ammo and just pulling the bolt carrier back and letting it go a 100 times. Make sure it's unloaded first. It sounds like your rifle is relatively new and may need a little break-in period.

You also have a franken-rifle collection of companies assembled into one rifle. Whenever possible the barrel and bolt should be purchased as a set or at least from the same source. The industry is running from the same set of blueprints, however, tolerance stacking happens under each roof and gets multiplied between vendors. Headspace is allowed to be +/- .004", bolts are held to +/-.001".

Who made the barrel?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#7]
barrel is a bear creek arsenal barrel, stainless steel 18" midlength gas system... spikes bcg but both were bought from same place....
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#8]
and I'm wrong on the buffer spring, it's a damage industries chrome silicon enhanced buffer spring.... heres some details on the buffer spring: The Enhanced Recoil Springs are USA made of Chrome Silicon Spring Wire to enhance operation and can help reduce bolt bounce with consistent pressure. Rated way above Mil-Spec at 750,000+ cycles. Heat treated and stress relived.   one reason I got it is due to it being rated for ALOT more cycles than a standard mil spec spring, which is rated at around 12,000 or so vs 750,000   and yes I tried different mags, I've tried my pmags, and I've tried red jacket mags.... the bolt catch catches it when it goes on last round, or when I cycle it without ammo in the mag....  I don't know if it's in the buffer tube either, because it was having misfires with another tube I had on it once before... bolt feels fine when I pull it back and forward except for when the bolt is locking into the chamber it has that little bit of snugness of going in, but doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me...
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:06:02 AM EDT
[#10]
yes I got the carbine length and yeah I was thinking about doing that
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:03:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I put a buffer out of my buddy's rifle and it runs with it. so yeah it was the buffer.... now could it have something to do with the weights in the buffer, like the heavy buffer I was using was filled with tungsten powder, while the standard buffer has the weights that moves inside, does the moving weights have to do with making it function better? what is the purpose of the moving weights? because I'm undecided between getting a standard 3oz buffer with the regular weights, or a tungsten powder filled 3oz, but I'm skeptical because I don't want to be back to square 1 with my issue and I would prefer to get the tungsten powder one is because it's quieter and doesn't sound like it's flying apart and loose,  which is one reason I got the other buffer before is because that rattling sound the standard buffer makes annoys the hell out of me... drives me nuts... lol
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#13]
no my current buffer(s) were heavy buffers, but I have found the spikes t1 3oz buffer that is tungsten powder filled and a couple of no brand ones online that are tungsten powder filled 3oz ...  I'm just wondering if the moving weights in some buffers had a purpose to why they move besides making noise lol.... also wondering if it would make a difference between using a standard 3oz buffer with the moving weights or a quiet 3oz buffer? if the moving weights may have to do with how it cycles?
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top