Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2014 1:00:08 PM EDT
So the girlfriend and I are cleaning our rifles and I do the BCG test.  There is no resistance there at all, figured it had to be gas rings.  

I have on order 12 gas rings just so I have some extra around.  

The PSA BCG has only ~1.2k rounds through it.  

This is premature failure for sure, but at what point do I call the carrier trash and out of spec?  If the rings fail again?  Should I even bother putting new rings on and hoping they don't fail again?  Is there anything in a visual inspection I should do?  How many rounds is standard before BCG gas rings fail?

Thanks for your time and help everyone.  This is my first time troubleshooting a BCG so just trying to leverage others' experience.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Where did you buy your new rings from? It sounds to me like your BCG is still good to go since you didnt have a failure of any sort and just decided to swap them out. The by the book test is to hold the carrier vertically in the air and if bolt falls under its own weight, then the rings need to be replaced. I have a feeling yours werent that far gone yet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Ahh yes its not quite that bad.  It falls under the weight of the entire BCG but not under the weight of only the bolt.  I have never replaced the rings and there are only 1.2k rounds through the rifle.  I bought the rings on amazon, they are from RRA I believe.  I will probably swap them out tonight.  I am probably being picky, but I don't want to wait for it to fail.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Got home early from work and pulled out the BCG and look what I found...

Everything is fixed now.  Sent an email to PSA to let them know their rings crapped out on me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#4]
when you clean the bolt  separate the ring gaps
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, I spaced them out.  They weren't perfectly even but spaced.

A little annoyed that one failed so quickly although I am glad that the entire BCG remained functional and that I probably wasn't having premature/excessive wear and likely just a defective ring.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want to check to see that your bolt, carrier, and gas rings are within specification; here are some blueprints to measure from. The carrier is for a M231, but the front of the carrier is identical to front of M16, M4, and AR15 carriers.

Blueprint Drawings
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Total MYTH!

Colt teaches in the M-16 Armorers course that the weapon will run with only one gas ring installed. When the rings are compressed into the carrier bore the gaps close up to where there is very little blow by.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Since we are on the subject, what is the best way to put new gas rings on the bolt?  Any good videos of it being done?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Total MYTH!

Colt teaches in the M-16 Armorers course that the weapon will run with only one gas ring installed. When the rings are compressed into the carrier bore the gaps close up to where there is very little blow by.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Total MYTH!

Indeed.  Taught by the mil, but since debunked.  Certainly not recommended, but the system can run with even just one good ring.  There isn't a downside to staggering the rings, yet it isn't going to be the source of a malfunction when they line up.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Since we are on the subject, what is the best way to put new gas rings on the bolt?  Any good videos of it being done?
View Quote

Rings come off one at a time, starting with the one at the end opposite the bolt lugs.  Use your thumbnail or a small tool if needed (dental pick, screw-driver, etc).  Grab the end of the ring, pull it out of the groove and down.  They are flexible, but don't bend them more than needed to get them out of the groove.  Remove all three, reverse the procedure to get the new ones on.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Rings come off one at a time, starting with the one at the end opposite the bolt lugs.  Use your thumbnail or a small tool if needed (dental pick, screw-driver, etc).  Grab the end of the ring, pull it out of the groove and down.  They are flexible, but don't bend them more than needed to get them out of the groove.  Remove all three, reverse the procedure to get the new ones on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok...I was kinda thinking that to install you would slide them over the end of the bolt expanding them just enough to clear that first lip.  I always worried about bending them to far out of round installing them.  Of course not worried taking old one off.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:47:36 PM EDT
[#12]
TM 9-1005-319-23&P has all the information needed that can be used to maintain an AR15. The excerpts below are from sections 0012-3 & 0012-7.

Removal:
Using flat tip jeweler's screwdriver, remove three bolt rings (8) from bolt (4).

Installation:
To install a bolt ring, carefully place one end in the bolt ring groove and hold in place with the thumb of one hand. With the index finger of the other hand, gently guide and push the rest of the bolt ring into the groove a little bit at a time until the entire bolt ring is in place.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Even though my bolt is near a year old they are sending me out (at no cost) replacement gas rings.  PSA made things right, very happy with them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Even though my bolt is near a year old they are sending me out (at no cost) replacement gas rings.  PSA made things right, very happy with them.
View Quote

Interesting, I had the same issue on a PSA bolt with less than 800 rds on it.  Emailed and called leaving a message.  I finally bought some off another vendor when PSA never contacted me back.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

WBlackidge,

I'm glad you got the issue resolved without any excess money spent. Gas rings don't cost much anyway and with the round count you had I beleive you should have replaced them a good while ago.

Impala
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#16]
1,200 rounds?  I think gas rings should last longer than that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Interesting, I had the same issue on a PSA bolt with less than 800 rds on it.  Emailed and called leaving a message.  I finally bought some off another vendor when PSA never contacted me back.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I emailed them at:  [email protected]

A person with a non-info email address who works for their customer service got back to me in a few days.  If you PM me I can get you that person's email.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top