Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/30/2014 12:03:23 AM EDT
I just bought a new Stag Arms AR 15. The problem I am having is when I load a Magpul Pmag into the rifle, it won't chamber the round correctly. It kicks it at a weird angle and scars up the round.. Also I can't get the mag to seat loaded with the bolt forward and I have tried loading the mags with 28 rounds...Help please?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have cleaned it thoroughly and have tried the metal mag that came with the rifle... It feels like the mag is hitting the bottom of the bolt... I have checked the mag release and it is good... I don't know what else to try..

As for the feeding problems I have tried it both ways, by releasing the bolt catch and by pulling the bolt off of the catch and letting it slam home... It looks like one of the bottom lugs is catching the head of the round and shoving it up above the feeding ramps into the top left corner of the receiver... It does feed though with the metal Stag mag, the Pmag doesn't feed at all
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#3]
you have any USGI aluminum mags.......to try........I assume your using in spec and proper factory ammo....
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:52:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep... It doesn't make any sense at all... All I can figure is there is a defect in the BCG or the mag well... It scars up rounds pretty bad with the Pmag when it tries to chamber a round....yes I am using PMC X-TAC 55gr 5.56 ammo.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:36:05 AM EDT
[#5]
You have to push the mag in fairly hard to seat on a closed bolt. Especially with a new rifle and new mags. Put your palm on the floorplate and push up fairly hard (youre not going to hurt anything) it should click into place
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I have pushed on the mag as hard as I can, have slapped it on the bottom with my palm etc... It won't seat with the bolt closed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you have any USGI aluminum mags.......to try........I assume your using in spec and proper factory ammo....
View Quote

This...^^^.  I only use USGI aluminum mags.  Never have a problem with ASC or Okay Industries mags.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have cleaned it thoroughly and have tried the metal mag that came with the rifle... It feels like the mag is hitting the bottom of the bolt... I have checked the mag release and it is good... I don't know what else to try..

As for the feeding problems I have tried it both ways, by releasing the bolt catch and by pulling the bolt off of the catch and letting it slam home... It looks like one of the bottom lugs is catching the head of the round and shoving it up above the feeding ramps into the top left corner of the receiver... It does feed though with the metal Stag mag, the Pmag doesn't feed at all
View Quote

Get rid of the Pmags and get some aluminum USGI mags.  Even Steel USGI mags are GTG.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#9]
UPdate: to eliminate the possibility of it being an error on my part. I completely unloaded a mag and tried to insert it with the bolt closed..It still won't go, no matter how hard I push, slap or whatever on it..I believe there is a defect in the mag well or the BCG.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Get rid of the Pmags and get some aluminum USGI mags.  Even Steel USGI mags are GTG.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It came with a steel mag from Stag..And it does the same thing..The only difference is once I get it seated with the bolt open, it feeds correctly.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
UPdate: to eliminate the possibility of it being an error on my part. I completely unloaded a mag and tried to insert it with the bolt closed..It still won't go, no matter how hard I push, slap or whatever on it..I believe there is a defect in the mag well or the BCG.
View Quote

You really think that there is a defect in the bcg or mag well over just a bad mag??
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It came with a steel mag from Stag..And it does the same thing..The only difference is once I get it seated with the bolt open, it feeds correctly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You said earlier that it is fine with the steel mag.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#13]
It does fine as in feeding..Still have to load the mag in with the bolt open
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It does fine as in feeding..Still have to load the mag in with the bolt open
View Quote

Load 1 less round into the mag and try again with bolt closed.  Take the palm of your hand and slam it in.  Not going to hurt anything.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Already tried that..I tried it half loaded with 15 rounds..If it was just the Pmag giving problems I could live with using metal mags.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I took it in this morning and they found the problem. The bolt carrier was out of specs...They slapped a new bolt carrier in it and it runs like a scalded dog now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I took it in this morning and they found the problem. The bolt carrier was out of specs...They slapped a new bolt carrier in it and it runs like a scalded dog now.
View Quote

Interesting.  Who made the bcg?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Stag ARms or whoever made the original BCG for the gun..I would say.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top