Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2014 5:43:44 PM EDT
Hello All,

I recently purchased a Gunsmoke enterprises AR-15, I was apprehensive about not buying from one of the "main stream" AR builders and I fear my suspicion may be sound. I visually inspected every parts of the weapon before attempting to fire it and everything seemed to be in new/good condition. When I went to fire the weapon nothing happened. I tried to clear out the rifle but for some reason the bolt was locked forward and it too a hammer to the charging handle to get the bolt to be able to be locked back. I checked the cartridge that was in the chamber when it locked up and the firing pin struck the primer but didn't ignite the round. I tried it again with another round and the same exact thing happened with the rifle being locked up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Have the headspace checked. Were you trying to fire reloads?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#3]
May I suggest that when a round is stuck in the chamber, instead of taking a hammer to the charging handle, perform the "mortar" maneuver.

To mortar your rifle, first if it has a collapsible stock - collapse it.  Second, get down on one knee, hold the rifle vertically with the muzzle up, pull back on the charging handle, while holding firm pressure on the charging handle slam the rifle butt to the ground from a height of about 6 - 8 inches.  Repeat as necessary.  The inertia of the BCG will force the bolt to open.  If the casing is stuck bad enough you might rip the head off the case but at least the bolt will be open.

Also, get a proper .223/5.56 chamber brush and scrub the chamber profusely with a good gun cleaner.  Often times a round will get stuck in the chamber if the chamber is not clean.  It might look clean but it is not hard to overlook foreign material in the chamber.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, for the advice guys, I will give this mortaring technique a try. Also the rounds I fired were in fact reloads from a local dealer.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top