Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2014 4:46:08 PM EDT
I just pic up this AR yesterday went by the range shot 20 rounds shot great. Last round the bolt stuck open. I did break it down till I got home and found.The buffer tube spring jump out and there was this little broke spring looks like it holds the buffer spring. Any ideas E3 omega lower.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#1]

you are going to need a buffer retainer spring and a buffer retainer. Put the spring in first, then the retainer in the hole. Push it in and twist the buffer tube clockwise till it holds in the retainer but doesn't bind it. Lock the castle nut down and stake it.  insert your buffer spring and buffer.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#2]
From the pic it looks like the buffer tube wasn't threaded in quite far enough.  Get yourself a new buffer retainer and spring, then see if the buffer tube will thread in one more turn.  From the look of it the tube was barely holding the reatainer and it was able to find it's way out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll need a telestock/castle nut wrench, because that receiver extension needs to be threaded in one more turn in order to properly retain the new buffer retainer and buffer retainer spring you'll be installing.  If you don't have the tools or aren't comfortable doing it, probably best to buy the parts at a local gun shop and maybe they'll install them for you for free.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ditto, receiver extension was not threaded into the receiver far enough to correctly retain the buffer retaining pin.  The front edge of the tube should be on top of the buffer retainer main outer section, with the middle  center pin of the retainer almost kissing the center pin.

To add, in some cases, the front bottom edge of the tube may need to be faced back to allow the tube to be spun in another wind into the receiver to allow the butt stock to index correctly, while at the same time the end of the tube almost kissing the center pin (or in your case, the middle post of the pin within the U slot of the bottom of tube).

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/WeaponEvolution.com/IMG_4734%201028%20WEVO%20Stick.jpg
View Quote

Dano, if you zoom in on his picture, do you see a good sized chunk of his extension missing where it kisses the retaining pin? I have it zoomed all the way in, it looks like hes going to need a new extension.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info I posted it on a local AR face book page also.I have a guy going to fix it in the morning he said he has all the tools and parts. I am learning more and more  about the AR.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the same lower and had the same problem. The solution is getting the castle nut tightened sufficiently.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dano, if you zoom in on his picture, do you see a good sized chunk of his extension missing where it kisses the retaining pin? I have it zoomed all the way in, it looks like hes going to need a new extension.
View Quote

No, a number of receiver extensions are made that way to let them overlap the buffer retainer, with the notch to pass the post properly.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No, a number of receiver extensions are made that way to let them overlap the buffer retainer, with the notch to pass the post properly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh alright, this is the first ive ever seen one like that. I was wondering how the pressure from that little spring could take a chunk out
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ditto (as always with Circuits), since it does allow for the end of the tube edge to go slightly past the center post of the retainer (read so you don't have to face the end of the tube if it slightly too long).

In the below photo, without the U slot, chances are the face of the bottom of the tube would need to be slightly faced to allow the correct butt stock index/buffer retainer pin retainage.

http://i24.tinypic.com/34qa34m.jpg

Also to point out, this is how the OP's receiver extension should have been indexed/threaded in/isntalled, and if you look at his photo and the top of his tube to front face of the threaded receiver section, you can see it recessed way back in the receiver threads.  Meaning that he could have spun the tube in at least one, if not two more winds into the receiver to correctly retain the buffer retainer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto (as always with Circuits), since it does allow for the end of the tube edge to go slightly past the center post of the retainer (read so you don't have to face the end of the tube if it slightly too long).

In the below photo, without the U slot, chances are the face of the bottom of the tube would need to be slightly faced to allow the correct butt stock index/buffer retainer pin retainage.

http://i24.tinypic.com/34qa34m.jpg

Also to point out, this is how the OP's receiver extension should have been indexed/threaded in/isntalled, and if you look at his photo and the top of his tube to front face of the threaded receiver section, you can see it recessed way back in the receiver threads.  Meaning that he could have spun the tube in at least one, if not two more winds into the receiver to correctly retain the buffer retainer.

Makes perfect sense. Makes me wonder why they arent all made that way now. Not that theres anything wrong with the traditional extension, (ive never had one cant itself or release the retaining pin) (I think I just answered my own question as to why) haha
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#13]
OK got a update I took it to one of the local AR builders, the hole is hollowed out to bad to hold the spring.Also the  buffer tube is damaged. So I contacted E 3 arms owner he said this was one of the first 100 built and  they have a defect in the hole so I have sent it back in and he is replacing it free of charge.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top