Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2014 9:14:09 AM EDT
I'm posting this for a friend who just bought a used PSA 16" M4 Carbine with 1:7 twist, chambered in 5.56. He was at the range to zero it with a scope he removed from another rifle and couldn't shoot a group to save his life using 5.56 PMC X-Tac ammo. Whether he was at 25, 50 or 100 yards, he could not get anything resembling a group. Impacts were up, down, left and right. I was not there, so I cannot say whether he was doing anything really off, but he is familiar with weapons and it's not the first rifle he has shot. I looked at the gun, and I could not find anything obvious like something loose or anything obvious in the barrel.

Any suggestions on what he should look for. He swears the scope worked fine on the other rifle it was mounted on. I can't believe he is that bad of a shot, but I don't know what else rifle-related to look for.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Have him post.

Too many "I have a friend" posts here.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Shooter
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have him post.

View Quote

He's not a member. Thought I would do him a favor. Didn't think it would offend anyone.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Lose scope mount more than likely.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

He's not a member. Thought I would do him a favor. Didn't think it would offend anyone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have him post.

Then its about time he became a member.  Incredible wealth of information to be had from others here and...always looking for fresh meat.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it a PSA rifle or is it a PTAC rifle purchased from PSA?  There is a big difference.  The PTAC rifles put out about a year ago had crap barrels which were grouping much like you described.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:09:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is it a PSA rifle or is it a PTAC rifle purchased from PSA?  There is a big difference.  The PTAC rifles put out about a year ago had crap barrels which were grouping much like you described.
View Quote

Here is what I was able to find out after relaying the replies to the owner:

The barrel itself is stamped " 5.56 NATO 1/7 CL MP PSA"  The receiver is stamped " PA-15 MULTI" He was also given a PSA owners manual from the seller

The scope mounts are secure and the scope is secure in the mounts.

He can discern no movement when holding the upper receiver and front sight basing and twisting.

Removed the flash suppressor and only saw some gas/powder residue. no signs of anything striking FS.

He will scrub everything out really well and try again. If that doesn't work I will give him my rear sight so he can remove the scope and take that out of the equation. Also going to shoot ammo I know works in my AR.

Thanks to everyone for helping a guy out. He now knows to sign up to learn and share.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#9]
RULE NO.1 Always shoot with Irons first. Unless of course you have no irons. Then: GET IRONS unless it is a fancy varmint rig designed for shooting livestock killing caterpillars from the apocalypse. Then make sure your scope/mount is properly secured

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Some 1:7 barrels will shoot light loads and some won't, but the barrel was designed for the heavier loads. Before going all wacko on the problem, dig down in the pocket and get at least a box of some 69 gr to 77 gr ammo and try it.
Its a used rifle, and there is no telling what may have been done to it. If the heavy loads don't group for an experienced shooter, there is some other problem. The next most likely one is the scope, although I have shot cheap Chinese ACOG knock-offs that sighted in fine and shot to the same point on subsequent range trips. I bought it just to see if I liked the ACOG platform. I did, and eventually bought a 'real' one. I now have a Chinese 'SIGARMS TAC CP4' on my SIG 556R, and it shoots fine. I've only shot it once but have no reason to expect the rifle will not shoot to the same point next time.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top