Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 10:05:38 AM EDT
So, last week I took out my latest build to start breaking it in and ran into some FTF issues, and thought I would post to get the consensus:

Statistics:

BCM upper
14.5" BCM SOCOM barrel
DD RIS2
Failzero NIB BCG
Spike's forged lower w/ failzero NIB trigger and hammer.
Spike's T1 heavy buffer/tube/spring
standard CAR stock.
GI 30 round mag - used before without any issues on several other rifles, still fairly new (less than 200 rounds)

One thing of note:  this is by far the tightest fitting upper and lower I've ever put together, really not any play at all between the two, whereas others I've done had alot of play and I used an accu-wedge to tighten them up.

FYI - I've used this same lower with other uppers and had no issues.

After a couple of rounds, FTF, round did not fully chamber, and I had to mortar it back out.   Take out mag, reseat firmly with a nice slap, rack, and fired again.  FTF... same thing.  Mortared again to remove, reseat, then one more FTF and the mag was able to finish without any further issues.

I've since given it a very nice chamber cleaning with a chamber brush chucked onto my drill - and admittedly I had not done this before taking it out the first time.   Haven't taken it back out to try yet... could be all it needs.

My first guess is short stroking due to the additional pressure of the full mag on such a tight fitting upper and lower.  So if the clean and lube doesn't do it, or switching mags, then should I look at a lighter buffer as a first thing to try changing out?

I am also thinking the damned thing just needs a good breaking in.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Ammo type?  Factory or reloads...steel cased or brass cased?  That will help as well.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:36:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Single round loaded in a mag, insert the mag in the well, charge the round leaving the empty mag in place, then fire for effect.

The correct effect is the bolt should lock back on the bolt catch.

If the bolt does not lock back, then start checking for gas leaks/blockage between the gas tube to FSB, FSB to barrel, and key to carrier.

Also, bring me up to speed on the T1 buffer, and are you shooting heaver than 55 grain brass case ammo to justify using the heaver buffer.  

View Quote

I'm shooting 55 grain FMJ 5.56, not .223.  Brass cased,  I forget the manufacturer, I'll have to look tonight, not federal or IMI.  It's imported milspec, red primer sealant.   Fired out of several other rifles without issue, same lot.

The only real reason I'm using the buffer is because the lower came with it, and I have used it with two different 14.5 carbine length and 10.5 carbine length uppers without any issues.  I did mount the gas block myself.  The barrel was dimpled for it, made the install pretty simple to line up.  Used rocksett on the screws

Bolt did lock back on the last round previously.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top