Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2014 11:06:27 AM EDT
I recently put together a PSA lower with the basic LPK. I noticed that the safety selector is harder to move that my other rifles and doesn't "click" into place. I justcked the detention and spring everything appears fine. When I function tested the safety everything works as it should.

Has anyone run into this before? I don't believe it is an issue with the PSA kit. I know it is not the best out there but they have always worked well for me in the past.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#1]

did you use the correct detent?

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes sir. That was my first thought as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#4]
On one of my cmmg lpk's the selector felt extremely rough and didn't quite have that "crisp carrot snap" click when I would flip it to safe, but CLP and break in completely took care of it, snaps crisp now. Just lubricate it and work it from safe to fire a couple hundred times and I'm willing to bet it will much better
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#5]
FWIW I have one rifle that makes a loud audible click when moving the selector and one that doesn't.  The selector really shouldn't be too difficult to manipulate in my experience though, that may need some adjustment.   IMHO as long as it is positively engaging, disengaging, staying where placed when purposely moved and the rifle is function checking properly I personally wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#7]
What if I'm having the opposite problem with a safety selector that doesn't have a crisp feel and feels sloppy going from safe to fire and back?  Might the selector spring cavity be too deep?

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best guess, after marker pistol grip that the selector spring channel in it is drilled too shallow.

Back off the pistol grip screw by about 4 threads, pull the grip slightly down. and see if that allows the the selector to work normal.
If that does allow the grip to work normal, then break out a drill bit and drill the spring grip channel sightly deepen as needed. Also, when putting the grip back on, make sure that the grip spring channel, and the lower spring channel are maintained so you are not crimping the spring with the grip installed.

If the above does no solve the problem, then pull the grip, catch the spring and detent, and make sure that the detent is moving freely in the receiver channel for it.  The receiver channel is a step channel, so if needed, you can use the drill bits to clean up the the channel so the detent does move freely in the lower receiver.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#8]
What Dano said.  Make sure to chase the drilling with the right size bit before installing the detent and spring. You do not have to put the bit in a drill, hand turning or using a pin vise works well.  I have found some crap in drillings on a regular basis.
Link to pin vises
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What if I'm having the opposite problem with a safety selector that doesn't have a crisp feel and feels sloppy going from safe to fire and back?  Might the selector spring cavity be too deep?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Best guess, after marker pistol grip that the selector spring channel in it is drilled too shallow.

Back off the pistol grip screw by about 4 threads, pull the grip slightly down. and see if that allows the the selector to work normal.
If that does allow the grip to work normal, then break out a drill bit and drill the spring grip channel sightly deepen as needed. Also, when putting the grip back on, make sure that the grip spring channel, and the lower spring channel are maintained so you are not crimping the spring with the grip installed.

If the above does no solve the problem, then pull the grip, catch the spring and detent, and make sure that the detent is moving freely in the receiver channel for it.  The receiver channel is a step channel, so if needed, you can use the drill bits to clean up the the channel so the detent does move freely in the lower receiver.

I had that issue with a PSA A2 grip that had a measureable (about 1/16") too deep selector spring hole. Cut the end off of a Q-tip, put it in the hole, then sharpie the depth. Now try that Q-tip in another grip. If they are not the same depth, that's the problem. I've found that Magpul grips have the exact depth I like for selector "feel". YMMV.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top