Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/12/2014 9:53:19 PM EDT
Hey guys I'm new here, just bought my lower receiver and parts kit today, and of course a newbie like me messed up and need help. So my problem is: I put the roll pin for the trigger guard in the FRONT, not the back. It's not all the way in but I'm trying to get it out. I've tried WD-40 and pliers to pull it out, no luck. So is their any way to get it out?
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#1]
You may have to VERY carefully drill it out.
Use a drill press if you have it, a hand drill if not, but whatever, run it slow so you can control things and not drill too deep or damage the hole in the lower.

The roll pin will itself act as a drill guide,  Use a drill that's JUST the same size as the roll pin so you cut the pin not the lower.
If you're not very certain about this, take it to a gunsmith or a good machine shop and have them do it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#2]
pin punch
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Drill a hole through a block of wood to let the pin pass through while supporting the "ear" on the side.  Put the protruding bit of pin in the hole so the receiver side rests ont the wood block and drive the pin out with a correctly-sized punch, preferably a self-centering roll pin punch.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Take it to machine shop. This is a tricky fix. Probably not something to try and fix at home.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh yeah, no through-hole on the front to punch back out from.  Carefully cut off the part of the roll pin inside the trigger guard with a dremel or fine hacksaw.  The remainder should pull out pretty easily after that.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey guys I'm new here, just bought my lower receiver and parts kit today, and of course a newbie like me messed up and need help. So my problem is: I put the roll pin for the trigger guard in the FRONT, not the back. It's not all the way in but I'm trying to get it out. I've tried WD-40 and pliers to pull it out, no luck. So is their any way to get it out?
View Quote

Don't feel bad. I've built a few and, thanks to a complete brain fart on my part, I'm in the same situation as you.

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Simplest way is a 1/16" drill bit to drill through the pin and out the other side; follow that up with a 1/8" drill bit coming from the other way, using the newly-drilled hole as a guide, and drilling to the pin. Use a 1/8" pin punch to tap the pin out, but support the "ear" on a piece of wood with a hole drilled in it to receive the pin. Touch up the newly-drilled hole with Aluma-Black, and finish the build.

An automotive EZ-Out might also be used to extract the pin.

HTH

Edited: remove answer based on potential faulty understanding of the state of OP's situation, add a different option.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 2:57:14 PM EDT
[#8]
you should be able to turn it out without damaging anything,  if you can get on the end of the rollpin with a small pair of vicegrips turn it out like you would a bolt.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#9]
If enough of the pin is sticking out, I would try grabbing it with a slide hammer and remove it this way before attempting any drilling.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#10]
cut the trigger guard in half close to the ears then cut it in half between the ears should come out but will ruin the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:53:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I did this back in February.  I had to use a dremel.  Here are some pics.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_66/639210_Installed_trigger_guard_roll_pin_into_wrong_hole__solution____FIXED_WITH_PIC__.html
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:13:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
pin punch
View Quote

Dude...that won't work. There is no opening on the other side on the front part of the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Cut off whatever is left of the roll pin sticking out, as close to the receiver as possible.  

Then drive the shortened roll pin into the trigger guard, remove the trigger guard, and drive the cut roll pin out.

Now you only need a new trigger guard roll pin which you should be able to get at any hardware store.

*This should work unless you've driven the roll pin all the way in, or nearly all the way in.*
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Dude...that won't work. There is no opening on the other side on the front part of the trigger guard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
pin punch

I initially thought that the trigger guard was put in backwards.

standard guards usually come with the small roll pin holding the spring and detent.  But it seems like it was installed in the lower before the trigger guard was assembled?  In which case it would be open through the guard, but has a small bit that is smaller diameter that you could drill out and then pound the roll pin through with a punch, I would think it'd be easier to use pliers and pull it out, but OP says that's not working.  I could be wrong, I've never taken a trigger guard assembly apart

If non-standard trigger guard, then I thought that they were mostly consistent diameter hole all the way through, and you could just pound it out just like the back pin?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
single sided drilled ear.
View Quote

Ah, this may be why I was confused.  My lower is drilled through on both tabs, I thought that was normal, but maybe not
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#19]
yep, I figured this was the norm.  now I know it's not, thanks

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
cut the trigger guard in half close to the ears then cut it in half between the ears should come out but will ruin the trigger guard.
View Quote

This is where I would go
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top