Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/19/2014 8:02:23 AM EDT
Hi All:

The pin on my Vltor stock is stuck and I'm looking for thoughts on getting it unstuck. Probably doesn't matter that its a Vltor as it seems it could happen to any adjustable stock.

The stock itself isn't stuck as it has the normal amount of slight play so it's not a commercial vs. mil spec issue stuck. It almost seems like something broke off inside that is preventing it from getting pulled down enough. I also don't think the pin is bent because I can spin it around and around no problem. It just seems like it can only come down say 1/4 an inch vs the required 1/2 of an inch (estimating) to adjust it.

Help!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:33:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you attempted to remove the stock body off the receiver extension?  Instead of squeezing the adjustment lever try pulling on it as if you were going to remove the stock off the tube and see what happens.  Pulling on it will increase your leverage over a longer length on the pin.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you attempted to remove the stock body off the receiver extension?  Instead of squeezing the adjustment lever try pulling on it as if you were going to remove the stock off the tube and see what happens.  Pulling on it will increase your leverage over a longer length on the pin.
View Quote

Yep, I tried pulling straight out on the pin from the back and then even without the lever just hand pulling on the nut. Not sure if I should start yanking on the pin with pliers which will probably destroy the threads. I'm good with the position it's in but it would be nice to be able to adjust it. I swear the stock must know it lives in CT and pinned itself haha!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Before attempting to fubar it, get Vltor on the phone.  In the meantime slop a little Kroil oil on it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:00:33 AM EDT
[#4]
After taking one of my V stock bodies off, will say the pin is a tight but smooth fit in the channel where it slides in the stock.  Doesn't really look like much could break inside there and you say it still spins when turned.  I'd give it a good strong pull down.

Next would be to tap out the roll pin that secures the smooth round nut,
1: Get your finger or a similar object inside the stock to push against the spring loaded latch that engages the positional slots in the receiver extension.
2: Rest the latch assembly in a vee to allow the roll pin to pass through, drift it with the appropriate sized punch.
3: Unscrew the nut that captivates the latch assembly.
4: remove latch bolt, spring, etc.
5.  Once the round nut is removed the locking pin and spring will come out the top of the stock through the hole that is directly above it in the stock body.
And this when you need to find an appropriate sized nut and a pair of vise grips to give it a really good pull.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Much to my surprise, I fixed it.

After giving up for a few days, I started playing with it this afternoon. I was turning the pin screw thinking that it would unlock somehow and it seems like the screw threaded into the locking bolt or whatever it is on the end of the pin inside the stock, or perhaps the spring was doing something weird in there preventing movement.  Whatever it was it grabbed and has full motion.  Works perfectly.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top