Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/2/2012 2:13:10 PM EDT
I have a KAC 2 Stage Trigger that I am trying to install in an AR Varmint build I am doing.  The lower is a LAR Grizzly.  I have got the trigger installed but cannot seem to get the disconnector to engage the hammer.  Following the guidelines of the KAC instructions (http://www.knightarmco.com/manuals/2_stage.pdf), the trigger is functioning properly for steps #1, #2, and #3.  When step #4 is attempted there is only minor contact between the hammer and the disconnector and the hammer is caught only by the front sear not allowing the weapon to continue to step #5 - skipping the 2 stage and only having a single stage hair trigger.  No matter how fine of turns I give the adjustment screw for the disconnector it is either touching the hammer but will not engage it or will engage the hammer and not let go of it.  I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong and have been working on this for several days with the same results.  I have also tried to take it completely out and start the install from the beginning with no change in the outcome.  Looking for any suggestions or ideas that anyone might have. I appreciate any help - Thanks!!

Big Bear
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Dano523,

Thank you for your reply, I think I may have it set but would like to run through what I have going on to verify.

I have readjusted the left screw (sear side) so when the hammer is cocked with the thumb it engages and is held tight by the sear.  With the trigger held to the rear and thumb cocking the safety the spur on the hammer just clears the sear and makes slight contact with the disconnector.

I have readjusted the right screw (disconnector side) so the disconnector no longer engages the hammer but just makes contact.  If I hold the trigger back and thumb cock the hammer and push it all the down it will be engaged and held by the disconnector.  When I slowly let the trigger out the disconnector releases and the hammer is caught by the sear.

With the hammer in the cocked position (being held only by the sear) when the trigger is pulled back there is a slight “creep” before the trigger comes to a stop.  With a little more pressure the disconnector is making “contact” with the hammer (not engaging to the point of holding more like a brake for resistance) then the sear releases the hammer to the firing position.  Also with the hammer in the cocked position (being held by the sear) I can switch the weapon to safety and the sear does not release.

Does this sound like I am on the right track?  This is the first two stage trigger I have had so I greatly appreciate the advice and help!

Big Bear
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Dano523,

Thanks again for your reply!  I believe I have the trigger set properly now.  With the hammer cocked and engaged with the sear, pulling back the trigger there is a little bit of creep then an increase in pressure with what feels like the "glass rod breaking" feeling you mentioned.

As far as the Loctite procedure goes, short of counting how many turns it takes to remove the screw, following the KAC instructions and working quickly - any other tips or tricks that help?

I really appreciate the help!!!

Big Bear
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Roger that - thanks a bunch for the help Dano523!!!  I greatly appreciate it!!!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top