Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2012 9:34:10 PM EDT
I bought a new REC - 7 (5.56) a week ago, but I am having a problem with it. Every time I rack the bolt it jams. It seems like the nose of the round that I'm trying to chamber is getting stuck on the locking lug cutouts above the feed ramp. I have had the bolt carrier apart for lubrication. I thought it may have been possible that I assembled it incorrectly, but I've looked at it numerous times and don't see anything wrong with it. I have also tried my bolt in my friends rifle and it functioned fine with no problems. I can get the rifle to chamber by racking the bolt an additional time. The spent case seems to eject fine.
The problem seemed to start when I was sighting in the rifle. Everything was working correctly and I had no problems chambering rounds. Though I only had three in at a time ("range rules"). I fired a magazines worth of rounds with no problems. Part way through the second magazine it got caught like it does when I rack the bolt now. I had no problems chambering rounds before this. I'm not sure what the problem is as it is a brand new rifle. I am using P-mags and PMC .223 bronze so I don't think it is the magazines or ammunition. Any help would be much appreciated.

Here is the best picture I could get:
http://s14.postimage.org/k22iit0oh/0405121506.jpg
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 6:02:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I had the same problem with my PSA m4 using PMC 223 55 gr. Switched to Federal XM193 and Federal 223 55 gr. and it worked like a champ with no problems at all.
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both for your quick replies. I believe I figured out what the problem was. It was the rough edges (I'm guessing from machining) on the locking lug cutouts that were catching the rounds. I gently went over them with a needle file and now the rifle is running with no problems.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top