Author
Posted: 3/9/2012 10:12:37 PM
I know this is an ar15 site but i searched google and didnt want to join another site for a simple question...

I just bought a Stevens(Savage) model 320 12 gauge pump. When i went and shot today, after about 5 rounds the nut that holds the handguard in place came loose and the hand gaurd is flopping around and I cant load another round. So i think no big deal it must have never been tightened and ill do that real quick. So i do and go back to shooting and again, 5 rounds handguard is loose, So this time i really torque it down, same thing happens. Then i tighten it and use a punch in the grooves of the nut and a hammer to tap it and turn it tighter. Same thing happens again with about 5 or 6 rounds. So is there a tool i need that has 2 tabs to go in the grooves that i can really torque it down, or does it just need Loctite, or do i have a problem with the gun/parts?

thanks for your imput guys....
wphick62
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/9/2012 10:22:54 PM
There is a proper spanner wrench for that but. locktite and a careful screwdriver will fix it.
RIP: CW2 H.J. Cook
Gatorhunt
Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/9/2012 10:32:00 PM
We have a shotgun forum here.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/1_Shotguns.html
A generation which ignores history has no past — and no future.
458winmag
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/9/2012 11:07:13 PM
Originally Posted By wphick62:
There is a proper spanner wrench for that but. locktite and a careful screwdriver will fix it.

And, you should have known

Dano523
Courses avec des cisaillements.
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/9/2012 11:10:59 PM
[Last Edit: 3/9/2012 11:12:22 PM by Dano523]
Originally Posted By wphick62:

Pull the bolt carrier and forearm out of the receiver/off the mag tube, and in a pinch, you can using a 1-1/8" wood spade to tighten the castle nut correctly to secure the forearm to the bolt carrier (points of the spade bit will fit into the two slots of the castle nut).

Or as pointed out, you can use the correct forearm spanner wrench as well.

As for loctite, really shouldn't need it with the nut correctly tightened, but if you do use it, then blue loctite/

Lastly, before you tighten the castle nut up, make sure that you have the forearm indexed correctly on the bolt carrier so the forearm is not binding on the barrel.
Posted By PlaymoreMinds:

'Twas not the <cough> sweet and innocent <cough> PlaymoreMinds...

<---skips away in frilly skirts to Candyland, leaving gutters and snorkels FAR behind.
458winmag
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/9/2012 11:21:48 PM
Dano523
Courses avec des cisaillements.
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/10/2012 1:37:13 AM
[Last Edit: 3/10/2012 1:46:52 AM by Dano523]
Think Rem with part 30 and 31, holding part 32 in place.

Just on this gun instead,

That uses this type of wrench to tighten nut 32.

With the outer tips of a wood 1 1/8" paddle bit, the same distance to use as the wrench in a pinch instead.
Posted By PlaymoreMinds:

'Twas not the <cough> sweet and innocent <cough> PlaymoreMinds...

<---skips away in frilly skirts to Candyland, leaving gutters and snorkels FAR behind.
chornet44
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/10/2012 9:34:15 PM
update:

The threads are stripped. Ill be taking it back for a refund, thought about exchanging it as the guy at Big 5 said I could, but i think ill get a Mossberg or Remington as I have never had an issue with them. Shooting 5 rounds with this shotgun and having theads strip out was kind of a turn off.
Krinkplinker
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/12/2012 11:32:08 AM
Originally Posted By chornet44:
update:

The threads are stripped. Ill be taking it back for a refund, thought about exchanging it as the guy at Big 5 said I could, but i think ill get a Mossberg or Remington as I have never had an issue with them. Shooting 5 rounds with this shotgun and having theads strip out was kind of a turn off.

was the shotgun used when you bought it? The threads were probably already stripped.
chornet44
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/13/2012 11:12:23 AM
Originally Posted By Krinkplinker:.

was the shotgun used when you bought it? The threads were probably already stripped.

No it was brand new from Big 5. I took it out of the box to where i shoot, shot about 10rounds and it came off. I never pumped it hard, dropped it, beat on it or anything like that. Ive seen good reviews of the gun, but sometimes you get what you paid for, $179. I didnt like how "rough" it was to pump anyway, compared to a 500 or a 870, they cycle rounds much more "smoothly". The gun was super light and i did like that, and the pistol grip. It was just a fun play with gun and ill find something else used or on sale soon and try again.