AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Knowing me and how stubborn I am at not coming off as mental, I would want to figure this out myself also.

Knowing how good Larue is at customer service I would be tempted to just send it in and be deemed mental and be done with it.

Hard call.

GM

Link Posted: 1/24/2012 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have to put my thoughts here as well:

The projectiles are making it to the target.  Apparently velocity is enough to get it there so I am assuming that the pressures are up which means the round/case is sealing.  The last thing touching the bullet (crown/flash) is hitting it just barely on the way out or the rounds are not stabilized due to spin (1x14??) or concentricity of the bullet itself.  Or some weird combination thereof.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#4]
My bet is a dinged crown, if it was marginal stabilzation it would get worse with the longer bullets. I have had 55gr varmint bullets do this at 100 out of a wilson 1-8 but only 1 in 250 or so, they were over spun and would occasionally puff out right before the target, just one made it thru sideways. Also had 62's tumble out of a old colt 1-12 at fifty. I actually thought it was fun to let friends shoot it and mix in a couple of 62s in the 55 stuff I gave them just to see their eyes get real wide when they saw the bullet profiles in their target.

my bet is crown is nicked pretty good, enough to unbalance the projo's
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 9:30:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you talked to alfred at larue?

Mark will make sure Your upper shoots like a larue tactical upper.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 6:03:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It might become a new not-Geneva-approved Hogdillo rifle.

In for pictures.  

In all seriousness OP, Larue will get to the bottom of this.

Curious what the final verdict is...
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 6:17:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A 1:8 twist with 55 gr. bullets is a very marginal combination.  It is a whole lot better than a 1:7 but still, a 1:8 is pretty fast for a 55 gr. bullet.  A 55 should stabilize OK in a 1:8 but a 1:9 or 1:12 would be better, and with UMC being reportedly slightly under powered, my money lies with the UMC ammo being the culprit.

Bullshit.  I shoot 45's in a 1:7 and can hit targets out to 300 yards with that combo....
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A 1:8 twist with 55 gr. bullets is a very marginal combination.  It is a whole lot better than a 1:7 but still, a 1:8 is pretty fast for a 55 gr. bullet.  A 55 should stabilize OK in a 1:8 but a 1:9 or 1:12 would be better, and with UMC being reportedly slightly under powered, my money lies with the UMC ammo being the culprit.

55gr shoots great through my 1x7's

1x8 is in not very fast for a 55gr projectile

Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.  I shoot 45's in a 1:7 and can hit targets out to 300 yards with that combo....

Guys, feel free to have a  point/counter point on this one (no name calling through), but just point out if you are using the Greenhill formula or newer revisions of such to come up with your view points so the rest of us can check your facts.

There was video of someone shooting 35 - 45 grain bullets out of a 1:7 twist on Youtube at one time, with some of the 35s coming apart.  I can't recall who did the videos at this time, but all of the 45s hit their mark (targets downrange, with accuracy)....
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

SOME bullets will come apart, some won't.
It depends upon bullet construction and not bullet weight

A bullet moving at 3,200 F/S shot from a 1/7 twist barrel will be spinning at ~320,000 RPM. This creates a significant radial force that will tear many bullets apart.

Hornady TnT's will often come apart in flight with a fast twist. They even have a warning on the box not to shoot then in a 1-10 (or faster) twist barrel (reloading component... not sure about loaded ammo).
Nosler Ballistic Tips are much less prone to this.  
The two bullets use a very different jacket. The solid base of the BTs gives these bullets much more strength and can resist the radial forces while still using a very thin jacket suitable for varmint use.

I would be very surprised if military bullets (FMJ's) are prone to in-flight destruction when shot from a 1-7 twist barrel.

Link Posted: 1/25/2012 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SOME bullets will come apart, some won't.
It depends upon bullet construction and not bullet weight

A bullet moving at 3,200 F/S shot from a 1/7 twist barrel will be spinning at ~320,000 RPM. This creates a significant radial force that will tear many bullets apart.

Hornady TnT's will often come apart in flight with a fast twist. They even have a warning on the box not to shoot then in a 1-10 (or faster) twist barrel (reloading component... not sure about loaded ammo).
Nosler Ballistic Tips are much less prone to this.  
The two bullets use a very different jacket. The solid base of the BTs gives these bullets much more strength and can resist the radial forces while still using a very thin jacket suitable for varmint use.

I would be very surprised if military bullets (FMJ's) are prone to in-flight destruction when shot from a 1-7 twist barrel.

Preaching to the choir here.  I'm just pointing out that experience trumps some random number or result of an equation from someone that has never fired the weight/type bullet in question....

I think the ammo that the OP fired just sucked in quality, personally....
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Its been a month.  What was the diagnoses Dr. Mark?
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#15]
DAY 46
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 7:47:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dunno, ain't seen hide nor hair of it.    

If that the case then this is nothing more than a troll thread. If I had a 2k rifle and it was key-holing, that rifle would have been back in your shop within 48 hours. Something is rotten about this whole thing. I full expected to open this thread and see that it had been squared away and the problem figured out.

My gut tells me that they were the result of ricochets off the bench or barricade where he forgot bore offset. I had it happen to me when I was running barricades at Blackwater in a class with Larry Vickers. Didn't take rocket science to figure out what had happened.
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dunno, ain't seen hide nor hair of it.    

If that the case then this is nothing more than a troll thread.

This.

Low post count. New member. Problem with respected brand. Company offers to make good then doesnt return "defective" product.
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Bullshit.  I've been shooting 55 and lighter out of 1/7's and and 1/8's for 10+ years.  I have NEVER experienced key holing; this is a barrel/barrel related issue.  Having a bullet "overstabalized" is largely a myth, and definitely would not cause a keyhole.  

Check your FH for bullet strikes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Hmm, trolling much OP...?
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hmm, trolling much OP...?

Possibly a D.S. fanboi, employee, or the man himself?
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The profile of that largest hole is NOT of a 55 gr round but something longer, likely the 75 grain round.

i was thinking 5.45, and i think it's safe to say (as mentioned above) that the OP is trolling
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The profile of that largest hole is NOT of a 55 gr round but something longer, likely the 75 grain round.

i was thinking 5.45, and i think it's safe to say (as mentioned above) that the OP is trolling

At this point, I agree. If I paid that much for a keyholing upper, the owner of the shop wouldn't be wondering where it was - I would have delivered it in person.
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Guess that's enough of that
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top