12/1/2016 8:32:46 AM
Basic
  • Dec 2011
  • USA CA, USA
Basic
  • Dec 2011
  • USA CA, USA
Posted: 12/2/2011 2:26:30 PM EST
I Purchased and completed the 20% necessary to build 2 lowers per the rules and regs (Disclaimer). Purchased a used flattop 20" Bull .223 upper, brand name unknown (no markings) but appears to be in good working order. Assembled all and went to the range with store bought, name brand, brass cased amno. Immediately, it started to "short stroke" (extract and eject but not load next round) any where from the 2nd to the 5th round, usually the 3rd for me. My son, who is barely a buck twenty will experience this on almost every round. I attribute the difference to him being much lighter and not leaning in to the gun. I contacted a friend and put my lower on his upper and visa versa every combination functioned properly. I assembled my second lower with a new kit and it did the exact same thing also worked when swapping out with friends equipment. There is a little slop between my upper and lower so installed accu-wedge, nothing changed. I have also changed the buffer spring, tube and stock (no change), I have checked the bolt which seems ok but again this works on other equipment. I have had a few people look at this but no one has resolved the issue. The only thing I can come up with is, I must be just on the outside the specs when combining these two units. I am sorry for the book but I thought it was all important information.

Thank you.
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Jul 2011
  • USA FL, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Jul 2011
  • USA FL, USA
  • Link To Post: Click
Posted: 12/2/2011 2:55:34 PM EST
could be the bolt is rubbing the hammer a little to hard on your lower. or the gas key or gas block is not just rite
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson"
Courses avec des cisaillements.
  • Mar 2001
  • USA USA
  • Mar 2001
  • USA USA
Posted: 12/2/2011 4:10:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/2/2011 4:11:40 PM EST by Dano523]
Posted By PlaymoreMinds:

'Twas not the <cough> sweet and innocent <cough> PlaymoreMinds...

<---skips away in frilly skirts to Candyland, leaving gutters and snorkels FAR behind.
Basic
  • Dec 2011
  • USA CA, USA
Basic
  • Dec 2011
  • USA CA, USA
Posted: 12/3/2011 8:49:15 AM EST
I will start there and get back with with an update. I appreciate the help as I am in over my head.
Zone 5 Resistance Leader
Gold
  • Team Member
  • Mar 2005
  • USA MO, USA
Gold
  • Team Member
  • Mar 2005
  • USA MO, USA
Posted: 12/3/2011 9:47:05 AM EST
“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.” Thomas Jefferson