Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2010 6:11:47 PM EDT
I have a Rock River Arms AR, the issue I'm having is whenever I want to lock the bolt without a magazine, it won't stay open. I also have another DMPS and Bushmaster and do not have the same issue. Any ideas.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Not locking is normal.
Locking back is not.
Without a mag.
Not a problem though.
When you pull the charging handle push in on the bolt release at the bottom to lock it back.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't ever experienced this issue, so I can't tell you the solution.

However, some more information would be helpful. Can you look through the ejection port while you try to lock it back, and give us an idea what you see?

You should see (and feel) the catch come up once the bolt and carrier clear it, then watch as you ease the bolt forward to see if the catch didn't come up far enough, or if the catch is somehow pushed down by the bolt.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you mean after the bolts locks to the rear WITH a magazine and you take the mag out, the bolt doesn't stay locked?
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#4]
You are pushing the bolt catch, right?  
If the mag will engage teh catch, there's no reason your finger pressure wouldn't.  are you sure you've presented all the info?

BTW, I may be coming off as a dick, but presuming your BC is complete, I can think of no reason it wouldn't work manually.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#5]
When I remove the magazine the bolt will close most of the time (I would say over 90%) and the few times the bolt stays open I happen to lightly hit the rifle against any surface, the bolt will go foward.
Please remember this is not happening to my Bushmaster or DMPS rifles.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the spring in the bolt catch harder to push in then your other rifles?
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You are pushing the bolt catch, right?  
If the mag will engage teh catch, there's no reason your finger pressure wouldn't.  are you sure you've presented all the info?

BTW, I may be coming off as a dick, but presuming your BC is complete, I can think of no reason it wouldn't work manually.

The magazine will engage the bolt to be locked.
With my finger pressing the catch it will not hold the bolt back.
I did swap the bolt carrier with my bushmaster and DPMS and the results were the same. Do you guys think there is something wrong with the magazine catch?
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is the spring in the bolt catch harder to push in then your other rifles?

I would say a little bit more, you can feel the difference.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, it sounds as if the bolt catch/release is not right.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes, it sounds as if the bolt catch/release is not right.

That is what I'm thinking because the bolt works fine on the other 2 rifles. I guess I'll be calling RRA tomorrow or maybe I'll buy a new one.
Do you guys recommend any particular brand?
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd try a new bolt catch assembly (catch, spring, detent, roll pin) and see if that fixes it.

I'm sure if you call RRA they would send you the new parts. If the rifle is out of warranty it might cost a few bucks, but worth it to have a functioning rifle.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#12]
"When I remove the magazine the bolt will close most of the time (I would say over 90%) and the few times the bolt stays open I happen to lightly hit the rifle against any surface, the bolt will go foward.
Please remember this is not happening to my Bushmaster or DMPS rifles."

Some bolt catches are toucher than others. Try a replacement from another vendor. Not all bolt catches are created equal.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I ran into a problem with a friend's rifle like this. You could push the bottom of the bolt catch in to lock the bolt back and it would barely catch. I bet if you breathed on it would go forward. Never got a chance to look at it closer but I did tell him to order another another bolt catch and try it or I would see about modding the one he had.
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Are they all fixed stocks or collapsable?

I bought a new collapsable stock awhile back and couldn't get the bolt to lock back.  Someone here suggested checking the spring and sure enough it had a rifle (fixed buttstock) spring in a carbine (collapsable buttstock) stock.  The carbine springs are shorter by about 1 to 1/5 coils.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#16]
New bolt catch fixed my issue. Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#17]
i had the same problem...  i was too inpatient to wait til i got a new catch, so i took off the existing catch and ground a bit off on the side that goes up against the spring with my dremmel tool..  re-installed and it works like a charm..
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top