Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2009 8:51:50 PM EDT
Well I only have a few hundred rounds through my gun and already have buffer damage.  Does it look like it is caused by a burr on the bolt or something more serious?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2493/4135461564_646eabd778.jpg
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Prior ownership by Napoleon_Tannerite?

Seriously... the stuff around the perimeter looks like scarring from the spring, nothing to worry about. The scratches in the middle look like someone used a screwdriver or something to depress the plunger.

If things operate normally, don't worry about it.

ETA Other posters: could this be caused by installing the spring backwards? I don't think it could but maybe ...
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Prior ownership by Napoleon_Tannerite?

Seriously... the stuff around the perimeter looks like scarring from the spring, nothing to worry about. The scratches in the middle look like someone used a screwdriver or something to depress the plunger.

If things operate normally, don't worry about it.

ETA Other posters: could this be caused by installing the spring backwards? I don't think it could but maybe ...

Nope I bough it brand new.  And yes I was just wondering about the perimeter scratches. May be a stupid question but how could it be from the spring if the spring is on the other side?
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Mostly likely a burr on the edge of the notched portion at the rear of the carrier.
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a similar deal and at least one way to address it. I wouldn't normally link to another forum but I just stumbled onto it yesterday and felt that it might be useful to the OP here. If it's out of line, I'm sure a mod will come along and dress me down.
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 1:13:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Screw TOS.
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 2:53:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Screw TOS.

TOS?
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 3:33:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 3:47:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Terms of Service?

I think it means "the Other Site"

Link Posted: 11/26/2009 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 11:43:25 PM EDT
[#10]
It's impact marks from the buffer retainer that you need to look out
for. Those will eventually cause the buffer to bind in the lower
receiver extension, if the retainer doesn't break first, and are
indicators of much larger problems with the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 12:20:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's impact marks from the buffer retainer that you need to look outfor. Those will eventually cause the buffer to bind in the lowerreceiver extension, if the retainer doesn't break first, and areindicators of much larger problems with the rifle.

I agree , the OP's photo shows retainer pin hitting the buffer.  The carrier should push the buffer away from the pin just a little bit when the upper is closed. There could be many causes of this. Ive heard its possible the carrier length could be too short or that the retainer pin hole  is mislocated.  Could the upper be out of spec somewhere where it would cause the carrier to be more forward than normal ?

Link Posted: 12/6/2009 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's impact marks from the buffer retainer that you need to look outfor. Those will eventually cause the buffer to bind in the lowerreceiver extension, if the retainer doesn't break first, and areindicators of much larger problems with the rifle.

I agree , the OP's photo shows retainer pin hitting the buffer.  The carrier should push the buffer away from the pin just a little bit when the upper is closed. There could be many causes of this. Ive heard its possible the carrier length could be too short or that the retainer pin hole  is mislocated.  Could the upper be out of spec somewhere where it would cause the carrier to be more forward than normal ?

It does not look like marks from the retaining pin. Also what you quoted does not say it is. Only says that is what you need to look out for.

Link Posted: 12/6/2009 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Dano, that sure looks like #2 arrow in your photo is where the damage is coming from. Is that a rough spot on the carrier or bolt? No way does his retainer pin sit up that
far in his photo.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#15]
If you turn the buffer I'll bet those marks line up exactly to the top of the retainer pin. OP,check to see if the buffer gets pushed into the tube when you slowly close the upper to the lower. if it does then I'll bet that the retaining pin hole was drilled at an angle.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you turn the buffer I'll bet those marks line up exactly to the top of the retainer pin. OP,check to see if the buffer gets pushed into the tube when you slowly close the upper to the lower. if it does then I'll bet that the retaining pin hole was drilled at an angle.

Of course the retaining pin is drilled on an angle. It is supposed to be. It is drilled on an angle away from the buffer, That is why you see the damaged at the bottom edge of a buffer when it is hitting a retaining pin. The bottom of a retaining pin is sloped and closer to the buffer because of that and because of the angle the hole is drilled on.
The marks in the picture are higher than the pin and are not dents along the bottom edge that would be caused by a buffer hitting the pin.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess a pic of the back of the carrier would help , there should be some contact marks on it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does not look like marks from the retaining pin. Also what you quoted does not say it is. Only says that is what you need to look out for.

I didnt read that right , thanks for the correction.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Only says that is what you need to look out for.

I'll try to pop in more often Dano, still getting on my feet.

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top