Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/1/2009 6:00:43 PM EDT
I heard something loose in the AR15 and when I disassembled it the Buffer stop spring and pin was floating around in the lower. I reinstalled the spring and pin but after assembly again and cycling the bole a few times  the spring and pin were again  loose in the lower again. What holds the pin in place so it will not come out? How far should the pin be sticking out to stop the Buffer Piston?   Thanks    
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What holds the pin in place so it will not come out?

Buffer tube. Probably needs another turn.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The receiver extension captures the buffer retainer and spring. Your receiver extension is not correctly installed. This is what it should look like:

Click the photo to enlarge.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Genius––-You are absolutely correct and great picture. Now I have another question ––-How do you get the buffer plunger past the pin without disassembling the stock and unscrewing the Buffer tube?   Thanks  Loads
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Install the buffer in the action spring and just push it in. Cocking your hammer may make it easier.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the advice––-All is working well now
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:42:46 AM EDT
[#6]
That is a great detailed picture from Weaponrevolution.com and I presumed there were a series of pictures of the entire AR15. I went to the site and could not find them. Could you please give me a hint to where I could access the images?
Thanks––-Bill
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Found the pic in a google search, but it was easy to recognize Stickman's work off a thumbnail image. His photography is amazing. http://stickman.rainierarms.com/
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Genius––-You are absolutely correct and great picture. Now I have another question ––-How do you get the buffer plunger past the pin without disassembling the stock and unscrewing the Buffer tube?   Thanks  Loads

Best I remember , the buffer has 3 flats cut in its rim .  These make it easier .  Then rotate the buffer so that a round ( un cut ) segment lines up with the pin .

To get the spring past the pin , I just " screw " the spring in .

God bless
Wyr
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top