User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/28/2005 9:42:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tweak]
Am deployed in Iraq on PSD task

Took recently purchased M4 to range for test-firing today.

Weapon is 10.5" LMT upper, mated to Bushmaster Lower(XM15-E2S). Bolt carrier/bolt, etc are all LMT. Charging handle is PRI.

Weapon has had approximately 50 rounds through it before today.

Weapon was spotless prior to firing, with light lube on working parts.

New magazines used. Manufacturer O-Ray or C-Ray (?) Industries Inc, New Britain, CT USA.

Ammunition fired 2002/2003 LC M855.

The weapon fired approximately 50-60 rounds without issue, then had recurring identical double feed jams, every 4-10 rounds, which could not be fixed.

Tried cleaning on-site, no fix

Tried using less rounds in magazines, no fix

Double feed stoppage always presented as partially extracted fired case, extractor not engaged and new round jammed into base of partially extracted case.

Weapon fired and bolt cycled to rear and stoppage occurred on forward stroke.

All advice urgently welcomed. This was slated to be an operational weapon and prices here are astronomical and access to armorers limited.

Link Posted: 10/28/2005 9:56:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wrecktech] [#1]

Originally Posted By skorp:
Double feed stoppage always presented as partially extracted fired case, extractor not engaged and new round jammed into base of partially extracted case.

Weapon fired and bolt cycled to rear and stoppage occurred on forward stroke.

All advice urgently welcomed. This was slated to be an operational weapon and prices here are astronomical and access to armorers limited.

From what you describe this is an extraction issue more than a feed issue. You have to get the fired case out of the way first before it becomes a feeding issue. So a few Questions first....

Will the bolt lock to the rear on firing only one round out of a magazine?

Have you checked if the bolt carrier key is tight?

If the extractor is off the base of the cartridge case, is the entire extractor intact or crud under the lip? Pull the extractor and try to compress the extractor spring by hand. It should be very stiff. There has been some discussion about bad extractor springs lately. You could try to solve with an Extractor D-Fender from Armforte or a small O-ring but it's much better to fix the problem and get the riffle running right bedore making additions. Once the gun IS right, then a D-Fender of O-ring would be appropriate. I've got one on every one of my agency's guns and they do cut down on problems.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By twl:
Then increase extractor spring pressure by whatever means is accessible to you, meaning a O-ring, stronger spring, D-Fender, insert, whatever.

Too bad you dont have a Lowes handy, a .08 cent  #60 o ring will probably cure that. The fired brass isnt going bye-bye, and its cockblocking that newly fed round.

That fired brass must unass that AO. I have o rings in all my AR's.

Link Posted: 10/28/2005 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By twl:
If it persists, try a heavier buffer.

Can you explain why a heavier buffer would help? I can see if it would slow down the cycling process but beyond that I am at a loss and would like to learn more.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#6]
TWL, Thanks for the info. It makes a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Have looked at the bolt carrier key - it's on good and tight

extractor is complete, with a fractional amount of GSR/carbon fouling under the claw

will try to find an o-ring somewhere. I take it the idea is simply to slip the o-ring over the extractor spring?

can anyone recommend a good heavier buffer spring and HD extractor spring?

my kingdom for an o-ring....
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#8]
The weapon should already have an H buffer in it.

Best advice since you are stuck in the suck, see if the services has any plumbing supplies somewhere to fix the water faucets (best bet in finding the Small O rings), and once installed, Dump about 6 mags back to back with the MG's upper well lubed in CLP (got to be a sand dune somewhere that needs some killing).  This will allow the chamber to self-polish out threw live fire.  Once completed, get the CLP/fouling out of the rifle, since the CLP is just going to be a sand/dust magnet.

P.S. If you can, dump the LMT barrel and get your hands on a Colt or FN barrel instead.  The chambers are looser in the sidewall dimensions on these barrel, and when shit gets adverse, a nice tight chamber that shoot really tight groups  is going to be your demise after the rifle jams up on repeated mag dumps when running the weapon un-lubed for the present conditions.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 2:35:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tweak] [#9]
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks for the tips, gents

tweak - have IM'd you my mailing address. any assistance appreciated

weapon has 'H' buffer installed

recommended replacement extractor?

don't know if I'd burn 6 mags on a sand dune. there's plenty of other things here that need killing... .will give it a shot, pardon the pun.

will scrounge around in meantime for o rings.

Link Posted: 10/28/2005 5:13:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tweak] [#11]
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 3:34:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 5:30:15 AM EDT
[#13]
tweak

thanks for your help and also to anyone else who has chipped in - i'm extremely appreciative

will look for another extractor and barrel, hopefully I'll be able to scrounge something up.

you could make a bloody fortune if you set up a decent armoring outfit over here. I hear about a dozen requests a day for weapons fixes, parts and that's just from within the project I'm on. Mutiply that by numerous other projects and you'd be flat out, not to mention cashed up.

skorp

Link Posted: 10/29/2005 7:15:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Can you grab up an AK for the time being?
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#16]
tweak - thanks mate,  again  - extremely appreciative

cap'n p - have switched to a back-up AK. It's a love-hate relationship but the thing rarely misses a beat. Only problems I've ever experienced with that particular system has been 'quality' third-world ammo.

Link Posted: 10/29/2005 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 7:42:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Tweak

Sorry mate for the tardy reply, have been out and about.

No, I haven't been dealing with Paul at Bravo Co. I assume you're talking about Bravo Company in the US? A friend here took the rifle to see an armorer here and I don't know what his name was. In any event, there was no change after trying a new extractor. Haven't scrounged any other parts yet, so will probably have to wait for the o-rings you've sent. Am on the hunt for a 14.5" barrel also. No luck yet.

Skorp
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 7:01:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tweak] [#20]
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Check your EJECTOR and spring to see if you have proper tension and no brass shavings stuck in the ejector hole.  If you're getting proper extraction (out of the chamber) and the base of the case is free of the bolt face (but not kicking the empty overboard) your ejector spring may not be pushing the case out through the ejection port before it's getting caught on the bolt's forward thrust while stripping a new round from the magazine (especially since you say you have no extractor issues and you are running a heavy buffer).  This could also lead to the inevitable empty stuck above the bolt and jamming the charging handle forward (requiring removal of the upper to pull the empty out of between the charging handle and barrel extension).
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 12:44:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 1:33:42 AM EDT
[#23]
They tried a new spring and extractor for the same result - extactor slipping off case head and resultant serious FtEx stoppage as new round tried to chamber - straight into base of partially extracted case.

My LMT bolt is standard and appears to be chromed or stainless? (I suspect the former). I haven't used LMT previously.

On that note, I'm no brand partisan. I don't give a you-know-what about different manufactuers, just so long as their equipment doesn't get me or one of my team-mates killed because it's not up to snuff and decided to stop when it shouldn't. So far, this piece of kit is not up to the task and forgiveness out here is pretty thin on the ground, war being a harsh judge of men and equipment. Frankly, a lot of people out here don't have the time or resources to remedy problems that should never occur in the first place. Get a spare part?? We're in Iraq. You want to order parts as a non-mil contractor? Good luck - you can either go through the end-user certificate your company might have (we're still waiting for magazines ordered in April) or try and battle past State Dept restrictions on weapon part sales to individuals. Fat chance.

If I was in front of the LMT boss right now, we'd be having a pretty frank discussion.  And that would go for any other manufacturer (and I'm sure there are plenty) who couldn't get the most important thing right, every time - reliability. Lack of it gets good people slotted.

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 4:51:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 7:00:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Running a SOPMOD collapsible

buffer spring length seems ok. It's new and still pretty stiff.

I'll try out the xtra buffer weight.

I don't want to fix the symptoms either. Although the 10.5" is fast out of a car, I'm more than willing to trade that off for the extra reliability inherent in a 14.5" (although that's still short). The extra muzzle velocity wouldn't hurt either, particularly on Mr Muj.

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Skorp, I read your post quickly and did not note the 10.5-inch tube.

OK, sounds like you need the 11.5 barrel, but if you can get one the issue 14.5.  Go with a rubber D-fender or O-ring for under the extractor.  You have no way of knowing (or fixing) the size of your gas port.  10.5s are notorious for being picky feeders (the 11.5" Colt Commando is the shortest in-production barrel Colt produces and i have seen in general issue because of the fine balance between short and functional).

Any of the heavier buffers will keep you in good stead with the 11.5 or 14.5.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Sinister

Thanks mate - am definitely trying to get a longer barrel and will sort the o-ring issue also.

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#28]
skorp, let us know how make out. I would imagine your odds of procuring an 11.5 in theater are fairly low, so I would concur with the 14.5 suggestion. And a complete Colt bolt group if you can find one as well, or FN for that matter.

LMT's product is inconsistent to say the least. What might be acceptable for the recreational shooter, who has time to wring out any bugs, is UNSAT for a guy like you. The shit has to WORK right out of the box.

Stay safe!

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#29]
have trashed the LMT bolt for a colt replacement. Bolt carrier is still LMT and seems ok. Time will tell.

Still on the hunt for a 14.5" barrel. The 10.5" has to go. It simply hasn't made the grade and I haven't got the patience or luxury of time to deal with symptomatic fixes only. It gets to work first time or it's ultimately heading for the trash heap.

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Dudes potentially in contact don't have the time or luxury of messing with something that should have been de-bugged before deploying.  I'd rather have a piece-o-sh!t AK that works every time than a high-speed cute, short carbine that I'm not sure of (and I am relying on for both my job and life insurance).

Skorp, just out of curiosity is this LMT bolt the one with two extractor springs?
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 1:54:10 AM EDT
[#32]
tweak - will have a look at the links this am my time for buffer weights, thanks for the steer.

The LMT extractor was single spring.

If I can find a 14.5" tube, it's going on for testing.

Reliability is king.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 3:22:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tweak] [#33]
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#34]
tweak - have managed to source an H2 buffer, and an armorer is going to either put an extra weight in it, or get an H3 buffer from somewhere

may also have a line on a 14.5" tube from a tried and tested mil-spec manufacturer. wait out on that one.

skorp

Link Posted: 11/2/2005 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Good deal.

Did you find my info dumpu useful BTW?
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#36]
JLM

intel was of good value and will be disseminated accordingly here. thanks very much.

skorp
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#37]
thanks to a friendly armorer, have today managed to change over to a 14.5" colt heavy M4 barrel and will test fire tomorrow. Only downside was scratching of lock nut on Larue tactical forend rail system which was a complete b*stard to get off. Now it's got nasty gouges on both sides where the wrench bit into it. Anyone know some home fixes for cosmetic repairs?

have installed H2 buffer, still waiting for H3 - may just have to put extra weight into H2.

Once o-rings rec'd, will install one, keep a couple of spares and distribute rest to armorer and other guys.

goodbye LMT barrel with canted FSB.

skorp
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Thats pretty disappointing about the LMT barrel. All my LMT products have been great. FWIW, Wes Grant puts an O-ring in every 10.5 bolt he ships. Then he test fires 90 rounds really fast (he uses his RR M16 for that). It seems to be an almost mandatory modification.
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#39]
yep, it's disappointing. still, a lot of shorties are problem children and potential lack of reliability makes me extremely twitchy - and Iraq generates enough twitches on it's own without adding problematic equipment.

Zeroing the iron sights with a canted FSB was a complete b*stard. I almost ran out of right windage on my adjustable rear before it would zero at 25m. And that was a minor problem compared to extraction issues. A 14.5", with buffer and extractor fixes added will hopefully bring things back on line, plus will give me some extra velocity and energy on the target. I still have the LMT upper (colt bolt, mind you), so I haven't binned LMT completely.....

Link Posted: 11/3/2005 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Then he test fires 90 rounds really fast

Probably a good thing, allthou LMT alledgedly does that

Binned eh? I somehow suspected you were British
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 4:14:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#42]
g'day

I shall not take offense at being mistaken for a brit, although as an aussie, it's a serious insult to be labelled as a 'whinging pom', or 'whinging pommie b*stard' (your preference - but say it with feeling). As fellow ex-colonials with your own proud history of hammering the brits for a spot of entertainment, I know you'll understand.

On to other things. I test fired the M4 today and only got time for 5 mags (who knows if that's enough), which went through without any issue bar one. The bolt will not hold open on the last round. I did a function test at the beginning and the bolt will not hold open on any of the mags I tried, new or old. I don't know if this is a drama with the bolt catch or a gas issue. I suspect the former as it will not hold open when I put an empty mag on and cycle the action(?) Correct me if I'm wrong. When I push the bolt hold/release catch in manually, it catches the bolt in the correct position.

skorp

Link Posted: 11/4/2005 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#43]
again, thanks for all the advice and care packages. all items will be put to good use, both by me and the numerous other guys that need help, including the armorers.
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Skorp, check your bolt catch.  A sub-standard one won't have enough projection on the front end to catch on the back end of the mag follower (forcing the catch up to lock the bolt and carrier to the rear).

"Ozzies I like.  Ruperts, well..."
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#45]
the bolt catch seems to either be binding, or is too stiff for the mag follower to push it all the way up.

bloody hell, if it's not one thing, it's another.

can anyone recommend a good bolt catch and provide some instructions on the best way to get it out. that roll pin is a very small diameter.

Link Posted: 11/4/2005 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Bolt catch assembly here:

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/#boltCatch

Hopefully you can get a Colt or FN catch.

Is it a LMT lower as well?

Ozzie eh? Well all right

Take care, and stay safe!

Link Posted: 11/4/2005 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#47]
I'll try to get a colt bolt catch

Yeah, no hiding it - I'm an aussie. We have a couple of yanks on our team who have been made honorary aussies. took em' a while, but they got there.

cheers
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Tweak

No resistance as bolt carrier key meets gas tube.

Can't get the bloody bolt catch out as don't have anything to drive the pin out with. Will try to get it back to the armorer at some stage. Frustrating.

It won't hold open when I put an empty mag on and pull the working parts to the rear, either.

Will try the function test you described, when I can get on the range (who knows when that will be).

@#$%^!!!!

Honorary Septic, hmmm?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top