User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 10:08:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#2]
it's clean, alright.  If only I could get the bloody thing out, I might be able to diagnose the problem with it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Managed to get the bolt catch out. amazing what you can do with field expedients, in this case a broken allen wrench and a leatherman. The spring was out of true and there were burrs on the bolt catch surfaces. snipped one coil off the spring (which trued it and made it a shade lighter) and ran a fine grade file over the surfaces (thanks again leatherman). bit of militec and reinstalled. Appears to have fixed it. Holding open on empty mags, plus cycled rounds through manually until empty - held open also.

Am I an honorary seppo yet?

Link Posted: 11/5/2005 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been following this thread and just wanted to say I'm glad you appear to have gotten it fixed skorp.

Thanks for all you're doing over there for us and with us.

keep your head down.

stay safe.

Link Posted: 11/5/2005 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#5]
heads down but guns up

cheers mate for your good wishes - appreciated. I'll pass them along to my team-mates, aussie, yank, brit and kiwi.

skorp
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#6]
also need to pass along my thanks to Mark Larue. I have one of his rail forend systems on my rifle (bloody excellent piece of kit) and the armorer had some trouble getting it off, resulting in some damage to the lock ring. He is sending me a replacement part and a strap wrench to ensure the armorer, who is short on tools, will not have the same difficulty again. extremely generous.

all my team-mates are astonished by the unsolicited generosity I, and by extension, they have received from you blokes and Mark.  

my thanks again

skorp
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Seppo -- Derogertory word used by the English and Australians for all American nationals. Derived from Rhyming slang (Septic Tank = Yank)
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 11:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 2:09:19 AM EDT
[#10]
English and Australians = WANKERS

Have a wonderful day
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 2:39:18 AM EDT
[#11]
well, that's not the worst thing we've been called....mind you, it's good to hear a seppo using that word (uncommon usage by US mil over here), although perhaps you could find a stronger word to describe us aussies, so we don't get lumped in with the brits. cheers.

rifle is working, tweak. does this put me on the honours list? houghts,

Link Posted: 11/7/2005 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Long tooth,
I don't mind being called a Seppo; we all know that the British Commonwealth men are all practicing Puffers anyways. Pretty sure that it is common knowledge is that all of their women just get artificial inseminated from the same crocked tooth gene pool as well ( I read somewhere that the source comes from a bunch of goat shepherds tossing off getting exited by over looking a herd of sheep).
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 7:59:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Skorp, Tweak wanted me to let ya know that a care package is headed your way.
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 11/11/2005 2:08:12 PM EDT
[#16]
9Millie

Thanks mate - and thanks tweak

skorp
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 9:49:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 3:35:35 AM EDT
[#21]
tweak - sorry for the delay in reply, have been busy trying not to let the daylight shine through me. no care packages have arrived as yet. will advise.

9millie is a she? well, good on you mate, wherever you are.

skorp
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 3:46:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
Oh crap! There are two Tweaks now!  Run for the Hills!

Heh, I'd hate to be one of the Illinois 'cloners' if that's the case
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 4:45:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By skorp:
no care packages have arrived as yet. will advise.

3 weeks, 1 day.

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 2:23:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tweak] [#24]
No trolling in the tech forums

Originally Posted By Va_Dinger:
How about just listing known cures for shorty AR issues?
(1.) HD extraction spring
(2.) Extractor o-ring or Defender
(3.) H2 buffer or H buffer at the very least
(4.) One-piece gas rings
(5.) Check extractor for signs of wear
(4.) Heavy cleaning and lubrication – Just as important as any of the above.
(5.) USGI or HK mags
(6.) Quality ammo.

above added 12/30 from here
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Good to hear your "kit" is up and running.

Oh yeah, and tag for the upcomming train wreck, and IBTL.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#26]
well, the proof's in the pudding, as we like to say.

was in a contact 2 days ago and the rifle ran without a hitch. everyone on the side of the angels came out ok.

no care packages as yet - don't know what's going on with the post.

stay safe all

skorp
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#28]

no care packages as yet - don't know what's going on with the post.

4 weeks, 1 day.

Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#29]

thanks to a friendly armorer, have today managed to change over to a 14.5" colt heavy M4 barrel and will test fire tomorrow. Only downside was scratching of lock nut on Larue tactical forend rail system which was a complete b*stard to get off. Now it's got nasty gouges on both sides where the wrench bit into it. Anyone know some home fixes for cosmetic repairs?

Zeroing the iron sights with a canted FSB was a complete b*stard. I almost ran out of right windage on my adjustable rear before it would zero at 25m. And that was a minor problem compared to extraction issues. A 14.5", with buffer and extractor fixes added will hopefully bring things back on line, plus will give me some extra velocity and energy on the target. I still have the LMT upper (colt bolt, mind you), so I haven't binned LMT completely.....

Just curious about the canted FSB... You mentioned that the weapon had a FF rail on it.. is it possible that whomever installed the rail created the problem?
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 1:48:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm not sure if the installation was the problem or the LMT barrel FSB was canted anyway. I'm inclined to think it was the latter. Either way, the problem no longer exists, thankfully

I hear you guys on the post issue - there's no rhyme nor reason to it, it appears.

skorp
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Guys

Rec'd the care package today - 1x large yellow envelope with numerous goodies inside, including o-rings, brushes, muzzle caps, springs, 1/16th punch, amongst other things.

A big thanks to you guys for your humbling unsolicited generosity. There has been much stripping of M4 bolts here today and smiles all round, which makes a change, let me tell you.

A big thanks also to Mark Larue at Larue Tac, who sent a strap wrench, replacement lock nut and one of his superb QD ACOG mounts. Unbelievable.

Thanks again

Skorp

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Guys

Rec'd the care package today - 1x large yellow envelope with numerous goodies inside, including o-rings, brushes, muzzle caps, springs, 1/16th punch, amongst other things.

Thats not the one I sent, a week before he sent that one. Mine should be a plain white envelope with 40 O-rings in it, in a priority USPS outer envelope.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:08:36 AM EDT
[#34]
CavVet - er, that's a problem. It may still turn up. The APO system is not 100% reliable and other guys have complained of stuff going missing (i.e. never arriving) and this happens for a myriad of reasons. I've never had a problem (touch my wooden head), however, so fingers crossed.

Tweak - we could certainly use some basic gunsmithing tools, since leatherman and improvised stuff is currently the entire toolbox. Some advice on how to best secure the complete uppers in a vice (gotta find one of those too), without damaging them, since FSBs need to be removed, gas tubes and rails changed, etc. would also be appreciated.

Another question - can you recommend a good 'flat top' front gas block. A few of us would like to go to flip-up, detachable front sights?

Thanks again guys

CavVet, I'll keep you posted

Skorp

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:27:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tweak] [#35]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#36]
End date probably around April 06, unless we work ourselves into more work....er, or the place goes completely pear-shaped.

thanks for the improv tips.

skorp
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:54:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tweak] [#37]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:34:06 AM EDT
[#38]
tweak - thanks mate. got your im and have replied

thanks very much tumbleweed and paul, for your generosity - the gear will surely get put to good use as we have a fair way to go here.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#39]
You're welcome, heck it's the least we can do. Stay safe over there.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:00:00 AM EDT
[#40]
CavVet

Got the o-rings yesterday, mate - envelope finally arrived. Thanks very much indeed - they'll be put to good use.

cheers, skorp
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#42]
tweak

thanks mate - I'm sure all of it will....

will keep you advised on arrival

cheers

skorp
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#43]
the problem is excessive gas port pressure, period. accuracy speaks talks about this in their books-either a gas bleed on the front sight tower, or a restricted bleed at the rear of the gas tube. armalite apparently bypassed the whole problem by moving the gas port forward on their short barrel uppers. extractor springs and heavy buffers do not the problem solve....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#45]
just a quick note to say thanks to tweak, tumbleweed and paul from bravo coy - and anyone else who contributed to the two care packages of tools and books our team received today, sent over by tweak. this sort of amazing generosity makes our efforts in this fly-blown sandbox seem far more worthwhile...

good on you blokes, you bloody legends.

skorp
Link Posted: 5/28/2006 11:58:51 PM EDT
[#46]
You need a chrome lined barrel.  If you do not have one you are not going to be 100% unless you are really lucky.  The military learned that lesson back in the early days of the Vietnam War.  If you now have a chrome lined barrel and are having failure to extract problems then you need to trade weapons and have that one looked at by a qualified armorer.  The value of a chrome lined barrel is especially important if when you are going to fire a lot or fast.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 12:11:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TXAGGIECCL] [#47]

Originally Posted By Searcher1911:
You need a chrome lined barrel.  If you do not have one you are not going to be 100% unless you are really lucky.  The military learned that lesson back in the early days of the Vietnam War.  If you now have a chrome lined barrel and are having failure to extract problems then you need to trade weapons and have that one looked at by a qualified armorer.  The value of a chrome lined barrel is especially important if when you are going to fire a lot or fast.  Good luck.

Huh?  All US Gov. M16A1's and beyond have had chrome lined barrels for many years now.  I don't think you could find a US issued M16 in Iraq that DIDN'T have a chrome lined barrel...much less anything from LMT that's not chrome lined.  I don't think you can even BUY a non-chrome lined M4 barrel from LMT!

BTW, chromed chambers are no more reliable than regular stainless chambers if correctly cut and polished.  An out-of-spec or rough chamber will cause the exact same problems in any barrel...regardless of it's treatment or composition.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2006 11:32:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Failure to eject on a Bushmaster AR15 (model: XM15-E2S 14.5"bbl). Rifle belongs to a friend of mine. He was firing UMC 45 gr range ammo. (I know it's too light for the 1:9 twist and told him so, however I don't think that has anything to do with the issue at hand ... or does it?)

Anyway, I borrowed the rifle a few weeks ago and was firing Black Hills 68gr BTHPs. The rifle was extracting but not ejecting on the last round (it was locking back properly though on the last round). When my friend was firing it the other day, he said it was extracting properly but failing to eject on every shot (causing a jam when trying to feed the next round). At one point he said he had a jam with two live rounds in the chamber.

I have taken his rifle into my care (he knows even less than I do .... quote: "The rifle comes apart?"). I amgoing to start at square one. I am cleaning the rifle exactly like I was taught in the USMC with the added step of removing the ejector pin and spring for a more thorough cleaning.

The only anomally I noted was in the gas rings. While looking straight down the bolt from the rear, I could see daylight between the rings and the bolt while pushing on the rings. Is there supposed to be this much play in the rings? Could this affect the extraction/ejection? I only mention it because there does seem to be more play than the rings in my Wilson Combat M4.

When I fired this rifle a few weeks ago, I gave it a basic cleaning and light lubrication so I didn't think fouling was the cause of my ejcetion problems. Any ideas or suggestions in case the thorough cleaning doesn't help would be appreciated.

Please remember, I am a newbie here (I saw some of the postings about "O-rings" and saw a picture of one on an extractor, though I have no idea how that works or how it helps). I apologize in advance in case this question has been asked a million times before (I am sure it has). I thought this thread would be appropriate enough. A nudge (links?) in the right direction would be appreciated as much as a reply. Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 12:35:17 AM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By Boat_Tail:
HELP

OK, so I paraphrased. It sounds like the ejector spring is weak. When you depress the plunger it should be fairly stiff. That's what kicks the empty case out of your receiver. You might also want to check the inside edge of the extractor to see if it is very worn. And if there was a gas problem then you likely wouldn't feed another round from the mag. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 3:29:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TXAGGIECCL] [#50]
@Boat_Tail,
I had almost the exact problem your friend is having with a new CMT bolt.  The EXTRACTOR spring was way too weak.  It would hold onto the case long enough to usually pull it out of the chamber, but it could not hold the brass tight enough against the ejector for it to be kicked out (hence the brass being left in the gun & being double-fed).

Pick up a new extractor spring assembly.  It's a small spring with either a blue or black plastic/rubber piece in the middle.  I also picked up one of those black rubber extractor rings (D-Fender), and that bolt has been running 100% since.  Before switching out that $1.50 spring, my rifle couldn't fire more than a couple rounds before jamming, sometimes it was almost every round.  IMHO, you can't have too much tension on the extractor and mine has been running great with both parts listed below.

Brownells Extractor Spring Assembly

(this picture doesn't show the blue rubber insert that goes inside the spring, but it does come with it)

MGI D-Fender Extractor Ring

Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top