Site Notices
4/17/2014 3:33:50 PM
4/15/2014 11:16:20 AM
Author
Posted: 10/2/2011 1:24:39 PM

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
Who has done this?

Let's focus on step #2 (Armalite Tech Note 68)

To reduce the length of the second stage, cement or otherwise attach a 5/16 inch thick shim to ½ inch wide fine Arkansas stone.

I am using a 1/4" wide ultra-fine Arkansas stone because it was all Midway had in stock when I placed the order. It is taking a while with the ultra-fine stone. I would recommend a fine grade as Armalite states.

Set the shim on the tip of the hammer, with the stone resting on the top hook of the hammer. The shim assures that the angle of
the cut on the hammer hook is correct. Stone the hammer hook VERY slightly; only a thousandth or two. Check for second stage creep and cut a little more if you detect creep. Several repetitions may be needed before any change is noticed.

I have been going real slow to avoid taking too much off. I probably have an hour into this now, and I have reduced creep. However, there is still some.

From this point only a few thousandths of cut is needed. Assure that top and bottom edges of your shiny cut
across the hammer hook are parallel. If they aren't, the cut is crooked.

Done

As soon as the second stage is virtually undetectable with a NORMAL trigger pull technique, stop cutting. No further tuning is needed. During use, the slight amount of second stage creep remaining will decrease.

Here is where the questions start. There is no creep with a normal trigger pull, but there is if I take up the first stage and focus on the second. Do I stop now? The instructions say to, but I'm not happy with the second stage. Compared to my RRA 2-Stage NM, there is still creep while the RRA is clean with no tuning. I started with 500 rds on the trigger and have probably dry fired another 100-200 after starting the honing process.

Here's the big question. If I keep going, will I regret it in a few hundred rounds? I want this thing to break like my RRA trigger.

Thoughts?