Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2017 2:57:16 PM EDT
Not satisfied with Matrix Arms' lack of anti-rotation features I went ahead and bit on a STNGR 15" handguard (the "VYPR" model).

Total price was $95

It's quite impressive given the price point. All parts (rail, screws, barrel nut, crow foot wrench, hex wrench) came wrapped in a ton of bubble wrap and padded envelopes. Also included is a directions manual.

The machining on the rail is very nice. No nicks, bumps, dents, dings, or machine marks. Anodizing is nice and appears quite "thick" and has a nice semi-satin sheen to it. Unlike the Matrix rail, the STNGR has no sharp edges. M-LOK cutouts at 3, 6, and 9 o-clock and there are also cutouts along the length of the Picatinny rail whether or not they're M-LOK cuts I don't know. Rail has two QD inserts just forward of the barrel nut area and there are two full-rotational QD cutouts on the muzzle end of the rail.

This handguard has two anti-rotation tabs and a small plate also mates with the barrel nut to prevent the rain from creeping forward.

The included crow foot wrench (1-3/8") is kind of rough (it's no Snap-On) but serviceable.

For the money I think this is gonna kick ass.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.stngrusa.com/

Damn, I wish they had some in FDE, or one without a monolithic rail.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not satisfied with Matrix Arms' lack of anti-rotation features I went ahead and bit on a STNGR 15" handguard (the "VYPR" model).

Total price was $95

It's quite impressive given the price point. All parts (rail, screws, barrel nut, crow foot wrench, hex wrench) came wrapped in a ton of bubble wrap and padded envelopes. Also included is a directions manual.

The machining on the rail is very nice. No nicks, bumps, dents, dings, or machine marks. Anodizing is nice and appears quite "thick" and has a nice semi-satin sheen to it. Unlike the Matrix rail, the STNGR has no sharp edges. M-LOK cutouts at 3, 6, and 9 o-clock and there are also cutouts along the length of the Picatinny rail whether or not they're M-LOK cuts I don't know. Rail has two QD inserts just forward of the barrel nut area and there are two full-rotational QD cutouts on the muzzle end of the rail.

This handguard has two anti-rotation tabs and a small plate also mates with the barrel nut to prevent the rain from creeping forward.

The included crow foot wrench (1-3/8") is kind of rough (it's no Snap-On) but serviceable.

For the money I think this is gonna kick ass.
View Quote
Sounds like a nice rail. Pics?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's this evening's "build in progress" pic. Added will be Strike Industries V2 M-Lok Rail covers and a Magpul M-Lok Handstop Kit both in FDE.

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I almost bought one of those but couldn't find much for reviews.  Ended up going with a known quantity (ALG).
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:41:46 PM EDT
[#6]
another pic sorry for poor quality:

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice looking rail, and I like the mix of fde on your build. Probably a noob question but is that front sight on backwards?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:17:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice looking rail, and I like the mix of fde on your build. Probably a noob question but is that front sight on backwards?
View Quote
LOL yes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#9]
With MBUS installed correctly I added an FDE Hand Stop Kit.

Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Pont, i bit on those STNGR handguards too.  Got a 13 and a 15 VYPR. I opted for the steel barrel nuts. Here is an upper with the 15.

They are quite good quality and fit very well.

And the pair I built last Sunday.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:29:34 AM EDT
[#11]
What advantage is there in going with the steel replacement barrel nut over the included aluminum version?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#12]
A better outside photo.

Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Also got one of their "venom" buffer tubes. Nice quality T6 7075 with a very nice anodized finish. $17 a pop with free shipping.  Salad days indeed.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top