Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2017 5:06:42 PM EDT
I have seen people getting their 80% lowers engraved with the prancing pony and other things. Who does this work?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#1]
an engraver?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Any engraver can do an 80% that has not been finished yet, but if it has been milled it has to be an FFL holder that does it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AccuLaser in Lee's Summit, MO

They also have an FFL

https://i.imgur.com/yCkpRns.jpg
View Quote
That's helpful. I'm close to base and was looking for someone to engrave my trust info.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Olympic Cerakote did one of mine.

My other stuff I had done at a local trophy shop. They knew the spec for depth - .003+
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Vader tactical

Highly recommended. I have used the for my sons Eagle Scout build, and it turned out awesome.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Atomic Engraving (no FFL) - https://www.atomicengraving.com/

P&L Machine (FFL, did my completed 80%) - https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1134661
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Any engraver can do an 80% that has not been finished yet, but if it has been milled it has to be an FFL holder that does it.
View Quote
Should add in theory, as not all engravers can engrave an 80% with confidence or skill.

I purchased a new 80% from tactical machining with a custom engraving.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Should add in theory, as not all engravers can engrave an 80% with confidence or skill.

I purchased a new 80% from tactical machining with a custom engraving.
View Quote
I was not even talking about their skill or confidence, I was simply speaking to their legalities of who can engrave.  Most engravers I have run into over the years can do a 80% with no problem at all, of course I live in an area that we have a lot of gun parts being manufactured.

I will probably be doing them in the very near future as I have been looking at the specs on engraving machines to add to my tools.

If I remember right 80% lowers is now offering engraving services as well and they are located in CA

My partner and I have been looking into setting up to do barrels as well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:10:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was not even talking about their skill or confidence, I was simply speaking to their legalities of who can engrave.  Most engravers I have run into over the years can do a 80% with no problem at all, of course I live in an area that we have a lot of gun parts being manufactured.

I will probably be doing them in the very near future as I have been looking at the specs on engraving machines to add to my tools.

If I remember right 80% lowers is now offering engraving services as well and they are located in CA

My partner and I have been looking into setting up to do barrels as well.
View Quote
Yea, I've seen some shitty lowers come out of mom and pop stores.

Almost all of the places I buy 80% offer engraving services now, with varying prices. Most of them are doing it to comply with California's new laws.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:37:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Just a heads up, it would be a good thing to get it engraved while it's an 80%.  i know alot of places, atleast here in the phx metro area, won't even touch a completed 80% lower... either for engraving or coating/anodizing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd look in to having it done by a trophy shop prior to milling it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Why do engravers need an FFL?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:40:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why do engravers need an FFL?
View Quote
If it is a fully milled lower, then it is a gun and to do commercial work on a gun you have to have an FFL, the only regulated part on the AR is the lower receiver, once fully milled then it is a regulated product.

Anybody can engrave an 80% lower because it is nothing more than a paper weight, so trophy shops and others can engrave them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Thats why you engrave it before you finish milling out the 80% rec. It isn't a firearm until you mill it out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:17:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Atomic Engraving (no FFL) - https://www.atomicengraving.com/

P&L Machine (FFL, did my completed 80%) - https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1134661
View Quote
P&L does awesome work and they are reasonably priced. I'm semi-local to them, I had ten completed 80% lowers and a complete 80% AK build engraved per ATF specs for $275 OTD, and he did an awesome job. I didn't have any crazy designs or anything, just my info/SN/cal, etc., if it's a complete assembled lower just be sure to remove the stock and grip, easier to balance that way (he mocked up and balanced a few lowers of mine with fixed stocks which was a pain and time consuming, I offered to come back but he said no worries). GTG in my book

ETA: FWIW he can do custom designs and what not, saw a bunch of design templates in the shop and they have an instagram or something I think with a bunch of their work
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top