Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2017 12:36:54 AM EDT
I just picked up an upper the other day, it is a Bushmaster upper with a pinned Muzzle Device and I believe it is a factory pin job, 14.5 in barrel pinned MD to get it over the legal limit, I am going to use this barrel for a Model 727 that I am building, so I take out to the shop today, figured no problem, I can pop the old on and put the extended A2 on it with peel washers instead of the MD and the crush washer that is on there, turn it over and put in the barrel vice and run into this, a 1/4" gold ring? That matches the rest of the MD perfectly, I am thinking use the mill with an 1/8" mill in the center and see what I have here.  If it is done the way the rest of them I have removed, I should be able to punch a hole in in it turn it over and the pin will fall out, then I can mount the new MD and re weld, what do you guys think, it has to be a factory job, I have never seen a home job done like this one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:28:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's truly a factory job, then removing the overwelded area should allow the pin to be removed. Whether it will drop out depends on whether the pin was friction mounted (hammered home/deformed) before welding, dressing and refinishing.

In my experience, you may need to remove more material than the overweld, or attempt physically to unscrew it after removing the overweld, in order to loosen it enough to remove or have it drop out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:06:05 AM EDT
[#2]
That pin looks like it might be brazed in and will require a counter bore type process to remove the brazing. And the pin will still be difficult to remove.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This^^^^

And +1 on the factory Bushy pin/weld job. All of theirs that I see are done in this manner.

A few of us @ work bought these from Gunpartscorp last year, as well as several members here at Arf.
How's your fsb Dave? Any cant to it, several have received them canted.
View Quote
Tig, I was surprised this one is actually straight, I expected it to be canted but I guess I got lucky.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.

Now have any of you guys removed one done in this manner?  On the other ones I have done, I just use an end mill and punch the cap, but I was doing some reading and someone mentioned they ran into one that they had used some kind of past on the threads that was heated and welded the threads of the MD, that one I have not seen yet, based on the little gold circle, I have to presume it was drilled and had a pin installed then capped over!

Just as a side note, I am surprised I double checked and I ended up with one of the chrome lined barrels!
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
someone mentioned they ran into one that they had used some kind of past on the threads that was heated and welded the threads of the MD, that one I have not seen yet
View Quote
That would be a silver solder installation - comes off with just heat, but takes a lot of it, as in MD glowing medium red to yellow, depending on the high-temp silver solder alloy used.

If the pin was actually brazed (not a lawful installation method per ATF, so far as I know), then there was filler flow all around the pin, and possibly down into the threads anywhere the metal was hot enough for the filler to stick.

Whenever I've not been sure of the installation method, I'd either:

1) chuck the barrel into my lathe, and take short passes around the base of the muzzle device until the pin(s) dropped free; or

2) split the muzzle device with a bandsaw and then grinder or dremel until I could crack it off in two halves with a chisel.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Ones I have seen are pinned top and bottom.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ones I have seen are pinned top and bottom.
View Quote
I will be damned, I just double checked and you are right, didn't even notice that!  Thanks for mentioning that!  Like I said, this is different than any of the others I have done in the past and it is the first Bushy I have ever been around.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Split it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:43:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A friend of mine came to me and wanted the Izzy brake removed from his Bushmaster barrel.

No problem....WRONG!

I thought I was just going to grind the welds down and the pins would fall out. Nope, it appeared they were pressed in.

It was a two pin job and I wound up splitting the brake using a Dremel with heavy duty cutoff wheels.
View Quote
Thanks Pursuit,

After reading a bit and looking at it, I am probably going to have to split it to get it off, fortunately, if the threads get buggered a bit, I have the tap to clean them up so they will work with a new MD.

Fortunately I have a lathe as well, so if need be I can take the barrel off the gun and turn it down in the lathe to make it easier to get off.

I did get the gun built this last weekend and that is the last thing I need to do.  I was just waiting for the peel washers and flash hider to get here.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Unless the device is important to you, just split it and be done with it. No use spending a bunch of time trying to save and reuse a muzzle device that isn't worth anything.

I removed an extended A2 a couple weeks ago that the guy wanted to save and reuse. I told him it would cost more in labor time to remove it than it's worth and I sold him a replacement A2X for $12.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Why do you want to change flash hiders? There's nothing really wrong with that one. It's called the Izzy flash hider.
Another thing is with all the shit you are going to go through with the potential to fubar that barrel you could just get this barrel and start fresh.
https://www.dsarms.com/p-11686-dsa-ar15-145-chrome-lined-m4-17-twist-barrel-with-sight-tower.aspx
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why do you want to change flash hiders? There's nothing really wrong with that one. It's called the Izzy flash hider.
Another thing is with all the shit you are going to go through with the potential to fubar that barrel you could just get this barrel and start fresh.
https://www.dsarms.com/p-11686-dsa-ar15-145-chrome-lined-m4-17-twist-barrel-with-sight-tower.aspx
View Quote
I don't believe it is going to hard to split it and take it off, I have done it with other types of nuts and bolts without damage to the threads.  This is a 727 repro, so I want to put the A2 birdcage on it with the correct peel washers.  I figured I would use the mill to punch both pins, then split the hider and pop the two halves off, I have sold all of the parts that came on the Upper that this barrel came with and have actually nothing into this barrel now, this is basically a free barrel.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Holy smokes, the lengths people will go to, to get the shortest possible non-NFA barrel.  I can understand if you live in a state where the authorities hate muzzle devices, esp flash hiders, and require any of them be permanently affixed.  Short of that kind of restriction, I'm perfectly happy with a 16" barrel and a short MD, in my case an A1 style 3-prong flash hider (very military looking).  to each his/her own - CW
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Holy smokes, the lengths people will go to, to get the shortest possible non-NFA barrel.  I can understand if you live in a state where the authorities hate muzzle devices, esp flash hiders, and require any of them be permanently affixed.  Short of that kind of restriction, I'm perfectly happy with a 16" barrel and a short MD, in my case an A1 style 3-prong flash hider (very military looking).  to each his/her own - CW
View Quote
CW, I am not trying to have the shortest Non NFA barrel I can get, I own NFA Guns, both SBR as well as Full auto guns, I also own guns with Duck Bills as well as A2's and guns with Suppressors, so the goal has nothing to do with the NFA.

When building replica guns, people normally try to duplicate details of the gun they are trying to replicate.  The Model 727 had a 14.5" barrel with an A2 flash hider, beings you have to stamp any barrel below 16" used on a rifle lower or permanently attach a Muzzle Device to the end of the barrel to increase the length to 16"  that is what many of us do on our repo guns
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'd just put it on a SBR lower and be done.
View Quote
Not the way it works Tig, I like having a lower for every upper I have, the lower I am going to build for this one will be engraved with the correct markings and such, my SBR lower does not have the correct markings for this particular rifle that I am building.  Besides, being retired I have plenty of time on my hands, right now it is legal to put on any lower I have, but I will get the new lower built and it will forever be married to that lower.

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If I had the cash, I'd SBR damn near all mine.
View Quote
I have 4 pistol configured lowers around here, so no worries.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
You missed the point.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top