Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2017 3:46:58 PM EDT
What is truly considered ID for a hand guard, the minimum or maximum I'D? Would it not be the diameter of the circumference of the innermost

This particular rail was stated to have an ID of 1.45"
I am being told by their customer service that the dimension that I am measuring to be 1.479" is 1.45" by their measurements.
Either way this is disappointing. I was assuming that the minimum ID would be 1.45". The 1.479" dimension seems pointless to list as it is not useable area.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
As Senior Designer for an Engineering team, I'm not seeing how 1.361 and 1.372 are different. They should be the same dimension, given a quality extrusion. With that said, those numbers would constitute an ID. All others would be denoted differently.

I feel your pain, though. Recently, I was building an upper for a friend. He wanted a particular gas piston and several rail choices. I contacted the piston company and obtained dimensions.  I used these to verify fitment with the rail Mfr's. Everyone said it wouldn't fit. I guess they were covering their ass, cause it went together w/o issue.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#2]
In hindsight I should've called ahead to verify. Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with user55645.....11 thou is some rediculously loose tolerance to hold on that ID.

ETA: out of curiosity, what did you use to measure? If using calipers you have to be careful to use the correct amount of pressure as you can cause false readings by either being inconsistent or using too much/too little pressure on the wheel
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top