Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2017 12:19:53 AM EDT
I need some help finishing my HD rifle. This is it in it's current outfit.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I'm making this, as it's easier for my family members to shoot an AR rather than a shotgun, or pistol.

I'm thinking about adding a Redi mag, as I'm limited to 10 rounds per mag. I have a four mag bandolier with 10/30s in them that I can just sling on...

Take in mind, all of my other AR's are carry handles. The FDE, is because I got the stock first, and wanted them to match..

Currently I'm in 600ish and current weight is 7lb 5.5 oz
Aero 15" Quantum Mlok in FDE New-120 Monmouth Reloading
Green Mountain M8 Barrel New- 110
FailZero NiB BCG New- 100
GG&G Rear Sight New- 30

YHM Front Sight New - 30
Spikes Upper Free
Lower from 80% freeish
ALG SCB free from promotion
Forward Controls Forward Assist - 10
LWRC Ambi Charging Handle Used - 50
Thordsen Stock Used with 5 mags - 60
ALG ACT - 30$ used
FDE Lower Parts(Seekins Ambi Safety, KNS Pins, Odin Extended Mag Release, and Seekins Bolt Catch) 50$ used

All of the underlined stuff I got from the EE, and the Italicized are stuff I actually purchased new full price from an online store.

I'm currently thinking about things to make this more friendly to new shooters/ my family to use
Includes an Redot or holosight, shorter stock, new comp, and a flashlight.

I need help choosing a sight, as most of my family members have an astigmatism, me included. Because of that I'm looking at Eotechs, but don't know the difference, or ones to avoid.

Are there anything else I should be looking at/ researching?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:38:26 AM EDT
[#1]
In before the CA hate.
In before the Thordsen hate.
In before the Featureless hate.

I think you've done well, OP...especially buying so many parts in the EE and only being in for $600.

I've shot the Thordsen stock a few times and it feels fine.   I just can't get over it's looks....so I've settled on Magpul Fixed Carbine MOE stocks and Strike Industries "Simple" Grips on my AR's.  To each his own.

ETA:  I also have Magpul BAD Levers on all my featureless builds.   Arfcom is about 50/50 love/hate for the BAD lever....but I think they're especially useful on featureless builds where you're already going to be doing most of your business on the right side of the receiver anyway.  Assuming the lever doesn't affect your LRBHO, it will make it easier for non-mil trained family folks to lock the bolt back and release it forward.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:45:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In before the CA hate.
In before the Thordsen hate.
In before the Featureless hate.

I think you've done well, OP...especially buying so many parts in the EE and only being in for $600.

I've shot the Thordsen stock a few times and it feels fine.   I just can't get over it's looks....so I've settled on Magpul Fixed Carbine MOE stocks and Strike Industries "Simple" Grips on my AR's.  To each his own.

ETA:  I also have Magpul BAD Levers on all my featureless builds.   Arfcom is about 50/50 love/hate for the BAD lever....but I think they're especially useful on featureless builds where you're already going to be doing most of your business on the right side of the receiver anyway.  Assuming the lever doesn't affect your LRBHO, it will make it easier for non-mil trained family folks to lock the bolt back and release it forward.  YMMV.
View Quote

lol I like the 2nd gen Thordsen over the 3rd gen. I just bought the shorter butt plate, over this rubber one to make it an A1 length. I've tried the BAD Lever, but I've found the Seekins Bolt Catch to be a lot better... especially for 12-15$
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:11:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd say function over form any day.
Having said that, you should think about electronic ear pro if you want to use an AR indoors with a muzzle brake. No Bueno.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:12:28 AM EDT
[#4]
For what you have to deal with, it looks like you've assembled a solid rifle.

I think that I'd probably sacrifice the semiauto function and use something like a Remington 7600-series, but that's just my opinion. If I can't have the high capacity that defines SCHV, I'm using a .308 or .30-06 and making my ten rounds count.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:34:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks nice, OP.  Have you considered a shield over that brake, or a KAK flash can if those are legal there?  ProMag makes steel flush-fit 10 round mags that are drop free, have had good luck w/ my 5 rounder.  Don't know if you could rig a mag carrier on your stock, or couple mags, or use some of the Israeli forward grip mag holders.  The Boonie Packer is a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:45:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks nice, OP.  Have you considered a shield over that brake, or a KAK flash can if those are legal there?  ProMag makes steel flush-fit 10 round mags that are drop free, have had good luck w/ my 5 rounder.  Don't know if you could rig a mag carrier on your stock, or couple mags, or use some of the Israeli forward grip mag holders.  The Boonie Packer is a good idea.
View Quote
Exactly what I was thinking. I currently have that muzzle brake on, because I had it on hand, and wanted to try it out. I'm still confused on linear comps, and the Kaw Valley one looked appealing. People say a flash hider has and open end, where a muzzlebrake has a closed end where it's still 5.56 mm in diameter. However the DOJ, won't tell us or add on their shitty explanations on shit. I'm probably going to just use a thread protector, as if I do shoot me, I should expect the law to be on the "victims" side. I have a couple PSA 10 rounders that are flush, and just like these 20 rounders a bit more, as I can yank them out. I was thinking of using the forward mag holder, and a redi mag.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:48:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For what you have to deal with, it looks like you've assembled a solid rifle.

I think that I'd probably sacrifice the semiauto function and use something like a Remington 7600-series, but that's just my opinion. If I can't have the high capacity that defines SCHV, I'm using a .308 or .30-06 and making my ten rounds count.
View Quote
I would too, but I live in a residential neighborhood. All around me are houses, except for the rear, which has a huge hill directly behind it. I was even thinking of using a 9mm, but decided if I'm going to deal with this featureless bs go with 5.56
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:51:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Good looking featureless build. As far as budget red dots, I really like those by Primary Arms and Holosun. Not as durable as Aimpoint, or I assume Eotech (never owned one). But I've never had a problem out mine. I have astigmatism as well and the red dots work great for me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:59:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good looking featureless build. As far as budget red dots, I really like those by Primary Arms and Holosun. Not as durable as Aimpoint, or I assume Eotech (never owned one). But I've never had a problem out mine. I have astigmatism as well and the red dots work great for me.
View Quote
I don't know how a red dot will work with me, but I'll probably try them out and sell them on the EE to find out what I like.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:07:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I have slight astigmatism, and the issue Aimpoint M4 gives me a jagged dot that blooms the brighter I turn it up.  EOTechs look fuzzy to me as well.  There's an Israeli EOTech competitor that gives me a sharp circle.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:02:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Shitty Update.

I decided to take off the brake, and try out a new adjustable gas block that I just got. That included taking off the handguards and a screw just broke in there. I'm going to post another post, as it pertains to a different problem.

link to the post.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:32:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Are those utg or other Chinese sights?
I personally don't like red dots, I don't want to rely on a battery, have to take off the lense covers and turn it on at o'dark thirty when I realize someone is breaking in or already in.
You really don't need a break or comp and they make it louder indoors. Flash can/blast diverter? Adds about 3" to the gun. Probably not desirable indoors either.
My recommendations would be to invest in really good sights, DD A1.5, a light and if legal in cali, tape together 2 or even 3 mags. You can put a block of wood between them as a spacer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:38:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are those utg or other Chinese sights?
I personally don't like red dots, I don't want to rely on a battery, have to take off the lense covers and turn it on at o'dark thirty when I realize someone is breaking in or already in.
You really don't need a break or comp and they make it louder indoors. Flash can/blast diverter? Adds about 3" to the gun. Probably not desirable indoors either.
My recommendations would be to invest in really good sights, DD A1.5, a light and if legal in cali, tape together 2 or even 3 mags. You can put a block of wood between them as a spacer.
View Quote
YHM Steel Front Sight, and a GG&G Rear A2 Sight. Both are good reputable companies. The main reason why I want a red dot, is because it's simpler and anyone that picks it up can use it with low to minimal training.
Might change the front sight, because I hate the profile of it, and want a more A2 FSB style.

The reason I have a brake on right now, is because I had it, and wanted to try it. It's probably going to come off, but I'm currently and have been looking for some time at the Kaw Valley linear comp.

To me taping mags together is a grey area, I'd rather not risk. Again if I do shoot someone, the government probably wont be on my side. I saw some really nice looking ones from Canada. It's a steel coupler that makes it a flip style, and has a 30 round profile.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#14]
A flash hider is an evil feature in CA.

To remain featureless and un-registered, you've gotta go another way...bare muzzle....or brake.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A flash hider is an evil feature in CA.

To remain featureless and un-registered, you've gotta go another way...bare muzzle....or brake.
View Quote
Interesting, is the KAC Flash Can a flash hider?

THIS DEVICE IS NOT DESIGNED TO REDUCE RECOIL, MUZZLE RISE, OR FLASH SIGNATURE. THIS DEVICE IS DESIGNED TO DIRECT GASSES AND NOISE FORWARD AWAY FROM THE SHOOTER AND ENHANCE THE WEAPONS APPEARANCE.
-From their site

It seems like some Californians, told them to put this in. However, this seems like a flash hider, and the name doesn't help it either.

Do you know if the Kaw Valley Precision Linear Comp is gtg?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Interesting, is the KAC Flash Can a flash hider?

THIS DEVICE IS NOT DESIGNED TO REDUCE RECOIL, MUZZLE RISE, OR FLASH SIGNATURE. THIS DEVICE IS DESIGNED TO DIRECT GASSES AND NOISE FORWARD AWAY FROM THE SHOOTER AND ENHANCE THE WEAPONS APPEARANCE.
-From their site

It seems like some Californians, told them to put this in. However, this seems like a flash hider, and the name doesn't help it either.

Do you know if the Kaw Valley Precision Linear Comp is gtg?
View Quote
To my knowledge, there's no case law on the subject - so I would urge you to err on the side of caution (or not, if that's how you roll) and not use any muzzle device for a CA featureless build that mentions anything about hiding flash in the name or the advertised description.  That being said, there are comps and brakes that also reduce flash.  I would proceed with caution in that area, as it's quite gray. 

As for the KVP comp, I am not a lawyer and I also have not played one on TV, but my understanding of it's function would lead me to believe it's good-to-go.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To my knowledge, there's no case law on the subject - so I would urge you to err on the side of caution (or not, if that's how you roll) and not use any muzzle device for a CA featureless build that mentions anything about hiding flash in the name or the advertised description.  That being said, there are comps and brakes that also reduce flash.  I would proceed with caution in that area, as it's quite gray. 

As for the KVP comp, I am not a lawyer and I also have not played one on TV, but my understanding of it's function would lead me to believe it's good-to-go.
View Quote
Yup I love the minimal amount of detail they give us describing "evil features".
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top