Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/27/2017 1:41:39 PM EDT
I've built a bunch of uppers before, but I always struggle with this part. Usually I end up sharpening the roll pin a touch to get it in there, then smash it with a small hammer, lose it, re order one, etc. I haven't found a good way to do this reliably. Stupid I now.

anyway, what's the best means to this end? I feel like it's a 3 handed job, and with the barrel, block, and tube all being weird shapes I can't lock it into my vice or down to the table.

somebody help me be less stupid.

Also I got a gas tube that's too long. Can I cut it back on the receiver end or just order a damn new one?

(yes I know this post makes me sound like an idiot, but I promise I'm not...)
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Roll pin starter punches.  I got mine off Amazon.

They're hollow, so you put the pin inside the end of the punch.  Just get them started or you'll break the punch, since it's hollow.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I get the pin started before I install the gas block on the barrel while I have better control of it.  After its installed, the pin is much easier push in using a punch and hammer of a pair of pliers.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I made a little punch with a .070" hole in the end about half as deep as the pin is long. Works perfect.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I squeeze the roll pin down just the slightest bit with a pair of vise grip pliers. I then insert into gas block and use a pair of Knipix type channel lock pliers to squeeze it the rest of the way in. I also use this method on the bolt release roll pin install.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#5]
PRECISION REFLEX, INC. - GAS BLOCK ASSEMBLY FIXTURE
Gas Block fixture w/roll pin starter is designed for installing the gas tube and inserting the roll pin into the gas block.  The block holds the gas block to allow the roll pin starter punch to start the roll pin.

BROWNELLS - AR-15 FRONT SIGHT BENCH BLOCK
Two Working Sides For Installation & Removal
Big, tough, polyethylene block gives fitted support for installing/removing the front sight assembly on mil-spec, AR-15 rifles and carbines. Precision-machined and clearly marked on both sides for driving the mounting pins “IN” or “OUT” of the sight. Accommodates the sling swivel, plus, includes provisions for removing the gas tube roll pin.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I line up the tube, start the pin with needlenose and a hammer, reinspect alignment, then drive it with a regular punch.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
The white block and a set of starter punches are what you need.

Another thing you can do is ditch the roll pins for spring pins.

They are easier to install, and have the same strength.

I now have enough to do 50 gas blocks.

mcmaster ss spring pins

Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a nail set punch and a metal cobblers hammer and just go tap, tap and TAP, roll pin in.

I perplexed over the first couple until I figured it out, just make sure your hammer head is small enough that you can hit the pin without hitting the block.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Out of all the roll pins I have installed, the GB roll pin is always the easiest.  I use the items below to install mine.  I rarely use the actual roll pin holder because the SLR GB's that I use 90% of the time come with a roll pin that you can start with your fingers.  I then use a small roll pin punch and soft tip hammer.  Below are the items I typically use.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PRECISION REFLEX, INC. - GAS BLOCK ASSEMBLY FIXTURE
Gas Block fixture w/roll pin starter is designed for installing the gas tube and inserting the roll pin into the gas block.  The block holds the gas block to allow the roll pin starter punch to start the roll pin.
https://cdn.dsgarms.com/content/images/thumbs/0018919_pri-gas-block-fixture-wroll-pin-starter_550.png
BROWNELLS - AR-15 FRONT SIGHT BENCH BLOCK
Two Working Sides For Installation & Removal
Big, tough, polyethylene block gives fitted support for installing/removing the front sight assembly on mil-spec, AR-15 rifles and carbines. Precision-machined and clearly marked on both sides for driving the mounting pins “IN” or “OUT” of the sight. Accommodates the sling swivel, plus, includes provisions for removing the gas tube roll pin.
http://cdn-us-cf2.yottaa.net/53ff2f503c881650e20004fa/www.brownells.com/v~13.56/userdocs/products/p_080000252_1.jpg?yocs=l_&yoloc=us
View Quote
I made a very similar roll pin block from a piece of 2x4.  I clamped 2 pieces of wood together and drilled a 3/4" ( I believe) hole in the end.  The gas block sits in there nice.  It even makes it easy to remove the roll pin.  Just pound it down and it sticks in the wood.  I did buy a roll pin starter punch too.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Made my own punch but I took a hockey puck,ground  it to fit the contours of some gas blocks
Works fine,
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a pair of pliers with the jaws wrapped in blue masking tape.

nothing sets rollpins faster or more deliberately.. (especially for the bolt release on the lower)
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Am I the only one who uses a section of toothpick to keep everything aligned as I start to drive the roll pin in place?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#15]
To OP's other question, no, I would not cut a gas tube. Order a new one. There's a reason why the receiver end is flared to allow easy operation. It should stop halfway where the cam pin cutout is.

+1 to roll pin starters, they work great.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Am I the only one who uses a section of toothpick to keep everything aligned as I start to drive the roll pin in place?
View Quote
Must be, I have never heard of that one..

Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I use needle nose pliers to push the roll pin into the hole and hammer onto the pin or pliers to get it securely started. Then I grab a roll pin punch and drive it in. Or you can get a set of roll pin starter punches for 15 off Amazon.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Forcep clamp and small ball peen hammer.

Oh, and beers. The beers may be my problem? ?
View Quote
Good idea with the forceps.  I've been using a needle nose to get the pin started, and sometimes the pressure is uneven, and the pin gets loose and launches across the room.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:03:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I use a file to ease the edges on one end of the pin, dip that end in grease and use a starter punch to set it. Never had any issues using this method.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Tapper one end with a little sand paper and get it started. Insert tube and align. Put electrical tape on the other side of the gas block and press in with a small set of adjustable pliers. Finish with roll punch to proper depth.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Must be, I have never heard of that one..

View Quote
I use the toothpick slave pin technique, too.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:44:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't use starter punches (I think they're kind of silly). I just wrap a piece of tape around both the pin and punch (holding them together) until it gets started, then peel off the tape. Punch in. Done. No need for fancy "starter" punches.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:59:08 PM EDT
[#25]
That's the only size rollpin I have a starter punch for.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:10:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I made a little punch with a .070" hole in the end about half as deep as the pin is long. Works perfect.
View Quote
You made a roll pin starter.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:28:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Out of all the roll pins I have installed, the GB roll pin is always the easiest.  I use the items below to install mine.  I rarely use the actual roll pin holder because the SLR GB's that I use 90% of the time come with a roll pin that you can start with your fingers.  I then use a small roll pin punch and soft tip hammer.  Below are the items I typically use.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/278288/IMG-3006-264368.JPG
View Quote
I use this same setup, but use small needle nose vise grips to hold the pin and tap it with a hammer to get it started. Then switch to a roll pin punch to finish.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:26:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've built a bunch of uppers before, but I always struggle with this part. Usually I end up sharpening the roll pin a touch to get it in there, then smash it with a small hammer, lose it, re order one, etc. I haven't found a good way to do this reliably. Stupid I now.

anyway, what's the best means to this end? I feel like it's a 3 handed job, and with the barrel, block, and tube all being weird shapes I can't lock it into my vice or down to the table.

somebody help me be less stupid.

Also I got a gas tube that's too long. Can I cut it back on the receiver end or just order a damn new one?

(yes I know this post makes me sound like an idiot, but I promise I'm not...)
View Quote
Start the pin in the block before trying to line up the tube. I use a set of needle-nose pliers to hold the pin while I start it.

If you cut the gas tube on the receiver end, you will have to re-bend it to match the countour of the chamber are of the barrel. Also, if you look very closely at the receiver end of the tube, it should be slightly bulged to create a better seal, and rolled in (or at least chamfered) on the end to help guide it into the gas key. It would be much easier to cut and drill the muzzle or gas block end of the tube, if you really feel the need to not spend the $10 for a proper size one.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:30:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't use starter punches (I think they're kind of silly). I just wrap a piece of tape around both the pin and punch (holding them together) until it gets started, then peel off the tape. Punch in. Done. No need for fancy "starter" punches.
View Quote
A short piece of insulation material from electrical wire slid over the punch works for this, too. As you continue to drive the pin, the insulation slides back over the punch. No need for the extra step of removing tape. Leave it on the punch, and slide it back out the next time you need it.

For those using or thinking about starter punches, this wire insulation method also eliminates the need for two punches in your toolbox, and the need to switch punches during installation.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
What is silly about them? They're rather useful and cheap. This set is $4.99 shipped.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:12:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A short piece of insulation material from electrical wire slid over the punch works for this, too. As you continue to drive the pin, the insulation slides back over the punch. No need for the extra step of removing tape. Leave it on the punch, and slide it back out the next time you need it.

For those using or thinking about starter punches, this wire insulation method also eliminates the need for two punches in your toolbox, and the need to switch punches during installation.
View Quote
Good tip! Thanks for that!
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:19:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What is silly about them? They're rather useful and cheap. This set is $4.99 shipped.
View Quote
"Silly" because they're not needed (even if only $5). I realize specialty tools make jobs easier, but it gets to the point of insanity when someone can't (mechanically) figure out how to keep a roll pin straight (given all the simple solutions for this).
I would venture to say that if one needs specialty tools for that (simple task), perhaps they are not mechanically inclined and should not be working on such things?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:31:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Mav, what comes easy to some of us come difficult to others, just remember you as well as I started somewhere.

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Open up vise jaws about 3/4", lay down T shirt/shop rag.  Set gas block in recess, insert and line up gas tube.  Use small needle nose to hold spring pin and tap in.

CD
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Hell, I installed the gas tube roll pins for 30 years using hemostats and a small hammer, now I use a roll pin starter punch.  
View Quote
Yeah, Pursuit, I was doing that too, but it was such a PITA, I splurged on the Geissele starter and tapered punch just for gas tube roll pins.  I only used them twice so far, and man, it was soooo much easier!  Spendy, but worth it to me to eliminate the aggravation.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Do you need roll pin punches....No. Do they work really well and make the job easier.......Absolutely!
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Chuck the pin into a drill and spin against 80plus grit sandpaper

Chamfer the opening with a slightly larger drill bit

A light film of heavy oil

Needle nose pliers or locking forceps
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top