Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2017 9:34:03 PM EDT
Hi everyone,

Finishing my first build. Using an Aero Precision upper with Quantum hand guard. Mounted the Magpul MBUS sights and the rear flips up fine but the front won't flip. When depressing the lever, the bottom of the lever hits the guard and there is not enough clearance to disengage the sight hooks. Before I start filing on the sight to provide some clearance, I thought I'd ask the experts. Is filing necessary or is there  thicker/taller rail I should use to create more clearance.

One of these days I'll figure out how to post photos...
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you modify something that is defective and should be under warranty. The company will never know there stuff is broken if you try and fix it yourself.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hi everyone,

Finishing my first build. Using an Aero Precision upper with Quantum hand guard. Mounted the Magpul MBUS sights and the rear flips up fine but the front won't flip. When depressing the lever, the bottom of the lever hits the guard and there is not enough clearance to disengage the sight hooks. Before I start filing on the sight to provide some clearance, I thought I'd ask the experts. Is filing necessary or is there  thicker/taller rail I should use to create more clearance.

One of these days I'll figure out how to post photos...
View Quote

The polymer front Magpul sight will not work on the Aero Quantum handguard without modifying the sight.  It's a known issue with that particular rail from Aero.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The polymer front Magpul sight will not work on the Aero Quantum handguard without modifying the sight.  It's a known issue with that particular rail from Aero.
View Quote
This. One of the downfalls with the Quantum handguard. Need to modify the sight or go with other brands
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:06:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Seems a little filing to contour the bottom will provide the needed clearance. Thanks for the feedback. I did not know this about the Quantum hand guard.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#5]
This is a known issue with aero's handguard and Magpul polymer buis.  You will need to sand down the bits that make contact.

Ha, beaten by several.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#6]
That hand guard rail is not mil spec dimensions on height.  Good time to upgrade to MBUS Pro which does not have the side levers.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:56:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would you modify something that is defective and should be under warranty. The company will never know there stuff is broken if you try and fix it yourself.
View Quote
The sight is not defective.  The rail height is too short to allow the side levers of the MBUS to extend enough to deploy.  A replacement poly MBUS will be the same.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Push down on the indented top portion of the sight.  I found that worked just fine on AP handguards.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Called Magpul and they were very helpful! They are aware of the issue and suggest the Pro version. I like the poly sights so I took a file to the contact points and with very little material removed the sight functions fine now.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top