Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2017 2:02:36 PM EDT
Im looking for a little guidance from some people that know the AR platform more than I do. Ive currently got a cheap ATI Omni Mil-sport and an old Colt A2, but Im thinking its time to replace the ATI. Im wanting to build my next one and im not sure ive got everything i need for it and im not sure which way to go for my lower receiver. It is going to be a Semi-Auto only so id like to find a lower thats quality but only has a Safe and Fire option. I also shoot only shoot 55gr .223 & 5,56 American Eagles normally, but might switch to reloads or hornady but not sure what grain yet. I would like to find i stripped lower but no 80% lowers. Below is a list of all the current parts I have chose for my build and just need help figuring out best way to go for my lower receiver, deciding between brands for the barrel and BCG, and if theirs anything im missing to do this, want to have the plan and part list together before i start buying stuff, thanks in advance to anyone you puts there 2 cents in.

BCG- Bravo Company m16 BCG or Daniel Defense CompleteBCG (5.56)
Handguard- Apex Handguard 15" Ext. Rifle Length
Barrel- Criterion 20" HBAR Contour .223 Wylde 1:8 Twist or Yankee Hill Machine 20" Threaded, Fluted, Melonite QPQ 5.56 1:9 Twist
Muzzle Brake- AAC Blackout 90T
Charging Handle- Radian Raptor
Stock- MDT Skeleton Carbine Stock 11.75"
Grip- Armalite M-15 Pistol Grip
Saftey- BAD-ASS-ST Short Throw Std
Trigger- Rock River Arms 2 Stage Match Trigger
Trigger Guard- BCM Gunfighter Mod 0
Takedown Pins- BAD Enhanced Pin Set
Gas Tube- Yankee Hill Machine Rifle Length Gas Tube
Gas Block- Yankee Hill Machine Low Profile Gas Block (Clamp Screw)
Upper Receiver- Noveske Chainsaw Gen III Stripped Upper
Cantilever- Vortex 30mm 2-inch offset
Optic- Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 AR-BDC2
Dust Cover- Custom Wavy American Flag Ejection Port Dust Cover (cause why not right?0
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I think Andersons are marked like you want.  Aim Surplus sales Pro-Fab receivers marked like that as well.  

Your BCG is fine, but I'm sure PSA is about to have good buys on their premium BCG, which is more than acceptable.

I would take criterion over yankee hill, but you should look in to LaRue and Faxon as well.  

Do you really want a muzzle brake?  They're really loud, and you probably don't need one.

You could look at LaRue for the trigger as well, and a MagPul enhanced trigger guard if you don't want polymer.

Your upper receiver is fine, but it's overkill, and expensive.  Schuyler arms still has Aero uppers on sale.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:58:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay first thing first. Parts missing from your list that I noticed are: forward assist, Bolt catch, and magazine release. As stated before the Noveske is nice but pricey. If it's what you want then by all means get it but I would want to match it to a corresponding lower which means even more money. The AAC 51t is not necessary unless you're planning to run a can on it at some point. You could save a bit of money by running a standard flash hider like their blackout or a Smith Vortex or a standard brake if you think that's your thing. Furniture is strictly a preference thing and you will likely change it out a few times before finding which you prefer. Same with triggers. All the big name triggers are well made and function as desired. It really comes down to a personal preference of feel, looks, and weight of pull that will be deciding factors. There are tons of good barrels out there. It just depends what your budget is and what kind of performance you're looking for. There are endless amounts of threads about which barrels and why so just poke around. The Yankee Hill gas block should serve you well. I've used them on multiple builds. As far as BCG just spin the wheel and see which one it lands on. There are numerous well manufactured BCGs to be had and the ones to avoid have been blasted all over the forum. You seem to be on the right track with everything so far. I wouldn't kill yourself over the decisions. just pick quality components and you will be fine. Most of them will probably end up being changed out over the first year anyways

ETA: Your barrel will choose the ammo not you, so be open to trying different brands and weights. Also since you are planning to buy a trigger and safety I believe Midway has a build your own LPK option for all the little stuff you need.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:46:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info man, I decided to go with a Bravo Company upper over the noveske. Also didn't even realize the trigger guard wasn't aluminum so went ahead and got the fixed so thanks for calling that out.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:36:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I use BCM pistol grip and trigger guards on most my builds. I haven't seen anyone mention having issues with polymer guards. I always buy my upper receivers from RTB on the cheap and have never had any issues with any of them. It's a great company with great prices so you should definitely check them out if you haven't already.

ETA: Don't be afraid to browse the EE section also. I regularly find great deals on there. It's a good way to get higher end items for a steal but you have to frequent the listings because things go quickly.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I would highly suggest Aero Precision receivers. Theyre very nice.
They have a couple features that some of the high end ones dont have.
Barrel wise, id suggest a 1-7 twist rate, if you plan on going for any heavier weight bullets.
especially if you plan on doing reloads, something close to a 18-20" barrel would also be good for reloads.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top